Big changes in cruising: Royal Caribbean to sell Azamara
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
The ongoing pandemic has caused sea changes throughout the travel industry. Today, Royal Caribbean announced that it had entered a “definitive agreement” to sell its beloved Azamara brand to Sycamore Partners. If you’re not familiar with Sycamore, it’s a private equity firm. The deal, worth $210 million, is expected to close in the first quarter of 2021.
For more cruise news, reviews and tips, sign up for TPG’s cruise newsletter.
Azamara has a fleet of three ships and each carries fewer than 700 passengers. It may be one of the smaller lines in the industry, but over the years it’s built up a reputation for offering premium cruises that focus on multi-night port calls, special VIP events on shore, excellent dining and beverage choices, and exemplary service. These intimate, upscale ships are comfortable home bases to explore the world’s most exotic destinations.
Royal Caribbean sees the sale as an integral part of its forward-thinking game plan. “Our strategy has evolved into placing more of our resources behind three global brands, Royal Caribbean International, Celebrity Cruises and Silversea, and working to grow them as we emerge from this unprecedented period,” said Richard D. Fain, Chairman and Chief Executive Officer of Royal Caribbean Group. “Even so, Azamara remains a strong brand with its own tremendous potential for growth, and Sycamore’s track record demonstrates that they will be good stewards of what the Azamara team has built over the past 13 years.”
For its part, Sycamore Partners says it will continue Azamara’s operations in a way that presents consistency to passengers. According to Stefan Kaluzny, Managing Director of Sycamore Partners, “We believe Azamara will remain a top choice for discerning travelers as the cruising industry recovers over time.”
Azamara Chief Operating Officer Carol Cabezas has been appointed president of the brand.
Featured image courtesy of Azamara.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases within the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn a $200 statement credit after your first Delta purchase within the first three months. Offer ends 7/28/21.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles after spending $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months and a $200 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Limited Time Offer: Plus, get a 0% intro APR on purchases for 12 months from the date of account opening, then a variable 15.74%-24.74%. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees