Bermuda reopening on July 1, Americans welcome
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
As the travel industry reopens following COVID-19 shutdowns, TPG suggests that you talk to your doctor, follow health officials’ guidance and research local travel restrictions before booking that next trip. We will be here to help you prepare, whether it is next month or next year.
Bermuda reopening July 1
Bermuda is the latest country to reopen post-coronavirus and roll out the red carpet to Americans. In fact, tourists from many nations will be able to vacation in Bermuda again come July 1.
For more TPG news delivered each morning to your inbox, sign up for our daily newsletter.
The island will resume international commercial air service for visitors as part of its fourth phase of economic reopening after what it calls its, “successful management of COVID-19 to date.” L.F. Wade International Airport (BDA) will reopen July 1 as well.
In a news conference announcing the reopening, Bermuda’s Minister of Tourism & Transport Zane DeSilva said, “As we work to finalize the protocols and requirements for travel to Bermuda, rest assured, we will always place the safety of our island and its people above all else.”
Details are still being worked out, but visitors with a negative COVID-19 test within three days of their arrival in Bermuda, will be given freedom of movement around the 21-square-mile island.
Related: Visiting Bermuda with kids
What you need to visit Bermuda
Bermuda tourism laid out the following guidelines and requirements for tourists.
- Obtain a certified negative PCR COVID-19 test within 72 hours of departure
- Make sure you have appropriate health insurance
- Wear face masks when traveling to the departure airport
- Wear face masks and practice physical distancing at the departure airport
- Complete a traveler screening form and arrival card
On the plane
- Wear a face mask while on the plane
- Practice social distancing to the extent possible
- Continue to wear face masks and practice physical distancing
Bermuda tourism says it is still finalizing a detailed plan for anyone who tests positive during their visit.
Still no word on when cruise ships will be allowed to return.
Getting to Bermuda
Google Flights doesn’t show available routes until July 7, with round-trip airfare beginning at $389 on July 8-12 from Newark (EWR) on Delta Air Lines via Atlanta.
Flights from Houston (IAH) start at $771 in July on Delta via Atlanta.
American Airlines begins flying from JFK again on August 15 with flights in main cabin for $404. You could upgrade to business class for another $258.
Flights on AA from Charlotte, Chicago, Philadelphia and Miami all connect via JFK for Bermuda. If you’d like to use miles, main cabin seats would cost you 30,000 miles and business goes for 50,000. Keep in mind that is Web Special pricing.
JetBlue is flying from New York-JFK and from Boston Logan (BOS) beginning in August with flights for $404 or 20,200 JetBlueTrueBlue points plus about $122.
United Airlines flies to Bermuda from its Newark hub, but nothing is available for the remainder of the year right now. You could use United miles to fly on Air Canada for 39,000 miles and $122.
Where to stay in Bermuda
There is a St. Regis under construction, but it won’t open until 2021 at the earliest.
Hotels.com shows 23 hotels open on the first week of reopening, including the Fairmont Southampton — from $389/night July 1-5. The Loren at Pink Beach is also available from July 1-5 from $1,000/night.
While in Bermuda
Bermuda says that most facilities will be open, but with reduced seating and mandatory social distancing requirements. Restaurants will be open for al fresco seating only and with reduced capacity.
Bermuda tourism says, “Physical distancing, hygiene and mask-wearing apply to all our public transport, including taxis, ferries and buses and we’re working to increase contactless payment methods.”
As of June 11, Bermuda says it has marked 11 consecutive days of no new cases of COVID-19. The country has recorded only 141 cases and 9 deaths from the outbreak. More information on coronavirus in Bermuda can be found here.
Related: Reopening guide: country-by-country
Related: Reopening guide to the Caribbean
More reading: New resort and hotel options in Bermuda
Additional reporting by Katherine Fan.
Featured image of Mid Ocean Club, South Shore, Bermuda June 2020. (Photo courtesy Laurence Fox)
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.