Going once, going twice: Items from Berlin’s Tegel airport up for auction
Have you ever wanted a piece of an airport in your house?
Items from the now-closed Berlin Tegel International Airport (TXL) have gone to auction, and you can take your pick of airport items. The bulk of items for sale appear to be television screens and monitors, benches and snowplows — and there’s even a coffee roasting machine for the caffeine lovers.
Take a look at some of the items below and determine if you have enough space for a piece of an airport in your living room.
New to The Points Guy? Want to learn more about credit card points and miles? Sign up for our daily newsletter.
Looking to replace your living room couch? This three-seater bench is on auction with a current bid of $140.
There are several snowplows up for auction, with the most economically-friendly model starting at $6,068.
If you miss squinting at the screen trying to find your flight’s gate, you can purchase this 55-inch LG monitor on auction with a current bid of $121.
For coffee lovers, now’s your chance to snag this coffee roasting machine, with a current bid of nearly $4,900.
TXL was replaced by Berlin’s Brandenburg Airport (BER), which finally opened in the fall of 2020 after nearly a decade of delays. Named after former West Germany Chancellor Willy Brandt, the new airport, which began construction in 2006, was plagued by financial problems, bureaucratic delays and construction flaws.
The project went 4 billion Euros over budget and faced growing uncertainty, with the global pandemic greatly reducing travel demand. However, with two of Berlin’s three existing airports closing and nearly 300 million Euros in government aid, there is hope that the new facility will weather the pandemic.
Featured photo by Jakubaszek/Getty Images
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases within the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn a $200 statement credit after your first Delta purchase within the first three months. Offer ends 7/28/21.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles after spending $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months and a $200 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Limited Time Offer: Plus, get a 0% intro APR on purchases for 12 months from the date of account opening, then a variable 15.74%-24.74%. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees