Going once, going twice: Items from Berlin’s Tegel airport up for auction
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Have you ever wanted a piece of an airport in your house?
Items from the now-closed Berlin Tegel International Airport (TXL) have gone to auction, and you can take your pick of airport items. The bulk of items for sale appear to be television screens and monitors, benches and snowplows — and there’s even a coffee roasting machine for the caffeine lovers.
Take a look at some of the items below and determine if you have enough space for a piece of an airport in your living room.
New to The Points Guy? Want to learn more about credit card points and miles? Sign up for our daily newsletter.
Looking to replace your living room couch? This three-seater bench is on auction with a current bid of $140.
There are several snowplows up for auction, with the most economically-friendly model starting at $6,068.
If you miss squinting at the screen trying to find your flight’s gate, you can purchase this 55-inch LG monitor on auction with a current bid of $121.
For coffee lovers, now’s your chance to snag this coffee roasting machine, with a current bid of nearly $4,900.
TXL was replaced by Berlin’s Brandenburg Airport (BER), which finally opened in the fall of 2020 after nearly a decade of delays. Named after former West Germany Chancellor Willy Brandt, the new airport, which began construction in 2006, was plagued by financial problems, bureaucratic delays and construction flaws.
The project went 4 billion Euros over budget and faced growing uncertainty, with the global pandemic greatly reducing travel demand. However, with two of Berlin’s three existing airports closing and nearly 300 million Euros in government aid, there is hope that the new facility will weather the pandemic.
Featured photo by Jakubaszek/Getty Images
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.