This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
This shouldn’t come as much of a surprise, but if you’re single, things can get expensive. You bear all the responsibility of the bills, memberships and whatever else comes your way. And for solo travelers, this number is exacerbated — and we recently came across a study that really puts it into perspective.
Being single, according to The Telegraph, may actually end up costing you more than $2,671 a year. This number, though, highlights the biggest difference between solo travelers and people who travel with a companion. In fact, depending on which type of trip you go on as a solo traveler, you could end up paying 50%-80% more than you would have if you went with someone else. Translation: Those Ubers and bottles of wine add up faster than you think — and could even prohibit people from taking a trip altogether.
The biggest expense, of course, is hotel rooms. Hotels are notorious for charging high rates for solo travelers, so if you’re planning a yearly vacation, that number is going to add up fast. While it seems like the rest of the world has gotten on the solo traveler bandwagon, unfortunately the companies that charge for a lot of these travel experiences are behind the times.
With some great bonus categories, the American Express Gold Card has a lot going for it. The card offers 4x points at US restaurants, at US supermarkets (up to $25,000; then 1x), and 3x points on flights booked directly with airlines or through amextravel.com. It is currently offering a welcome bonus of 35,000 bonus points after you spend $2,000 in the first three months.
- Earn 35,000 Membership Rewards® Points after you spend $2,000 on eligible purchases with your new Card within the first 3 months.
- Earn 4X Membership Rewards® points at U.S. restaurants. Earn 4X Membership Rewards® points at U.S. supermarkets (on up to $25,000 per year in purchases, then 1X).
- Earn 3X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or on amextravel.com.
- Earn up to $10 in statement credits monthly when you pay with The Gold Card at Grubhub, Seamless, The Cheesecake Factory, Shake Shack, and Ruth's Chris Steak House. This is an annual savings of up to $120. Enrollment required.
- $100 Airline Fee Credit: up to $100 in statement credits per calendar year for incidental fees at one selected qualifying airline.
- Choose to carry a balance with interest on eligible charges of $100 or more.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- Annual Fee is $250.
- Terms apply.
- See Rates & Fees