Barclaycard Arrival adds new ways to redeem miles through Jan. 31
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
It’s no secret that many credit cardholders didn’t travel much, if at all, in 2020, and thus may be approaching a full year of not using their reward points as expected. As a result, we’ve seen travel-focused rewards credit cards work to find new ways to continue to add value to cardholders during this strange, difficult year.
For 2020, American Express added several new monthly statement credits to The Platinum Card® from American Express, Chase added new ways to redeem Ultimate Rewards points while not traveling at a value equal to travel redemptions, and now Barclays has introduced new, temporary options to redeem miles earned with the Barclaycard Arrival Plus World Elite Mastercard.
The information for the Barclaycard Arrival Plus card has been collected independently by The Points Guy. The card details on this page have not been reviewed or provided by the card issuer.
This card has closed to new applicants but remains a popular option held tightly in many wallets — mine included.
Normally, the miles earned with this card can be redeemed at a rate of 1 point equals 1 cent toward travel charges of $100+ made on the card within the last 120 days.
But, as reported by Doctor of Credit, until Jan. 31, you can also redeem miles at that same rate toward qualifying gas, grocery and restaurant purchases made in the last 120 days with a minimum of 5,000 miles for a $50 credit. This is great because typically non-travel redemptions on the card (such as gift cards or other statement credits) only were possible at a decreased value of rate of 1/2 cent value per mile redeemed.
Additionally, the minimum threshold to redeem against a travel charge has been reduced from $100 to $50.
As usual, you’ll also earn 5% of redeemed miles back to use on a future redemption. This means an eligible $50 (5,000 mile) redemption will net you 250 miles back into your account to use next time.
So, if you are sitting on some Arrival miles you’d like to redeem, it’s time to use the card for some gas, grocery or restaurant charges and then redeem the miles against those eligible charges by Jan. 31, 2021.
Featured photo by Summer Hull/The Points Guy
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs up to two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide including takeout and delivery in the U.S., and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $80 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA PreCheck® after you apply through any Authorized Enrollment Provider. If approved for Global Entry, at no additional charge, you will receive access to TSA PreCheck.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees