British Airways agrees to settle with victims of 2018 data breach
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
The court-appointed lead solicitors said on Tuesday that BA had agreed to settle the case with customers and staff who were affected, though it doesn’t include any admission of liability by BA. Those part of the group action lawsuit will receive an undisclosed amount, as reported by Reuters.
In 2018, British Airways unveiled that the personal data of 420,000 staff and customers was leaked to a third party. Those affected had their email address, postal address, credit card number, expiration date, CVV, travel booking and login information compromised between June and early September 2018.
Those who were affected were informed by British Airways in 2018.
It’s not clear how much Tuesday’s settlement is worth. However, if the Information Commissioner’s Office (ICO) is any indication, it proposed a fine of £183 million in 2019. That amount was later reduced to £20 million and paid out to European data authorities and Her Majesty’s Treasury.
“We are deeply sorry for the disruption that this criminal activity has caused,” British Airways then-CEO Alex Cruz said in a statement at the time of the breach. “We take the protection of our customers’ data very seriously.”
In an emailed statement to Reuters on Tuesday, the airline said that it was pleased to settle the group action suit.
If you were affected by the 2018 breach, you should have already heard from British Airways at the time of the incident. If you were part of the group action suit, you should be receiving an undisclosed amount of money from the airline.
Featured photo by Steve Parsons/PA Images/Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants in the first three months of card membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 Bonus Miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees