Apple Is Almost Worth More Than Every Airline and Aviation Company Combined
Yesterday, Apple made history. It became the first public company to hit a $1 trillion valuation. The company that almost went bankrupt in the 1990s is by far and away the most valuable in the world.
Its value is so high that it’s actually larger than the GDP of many large economies like Turkey and the Netherlands.
The New York Times did a fascinating study that compared Apple’s valuation to a variety of companies, including the big banks and auto companies.
There was a surprising tidbit in there — Apple is worth almost as much as all of the world’s major airlines and aviation companies combined. The combined value of all these companies, including massive aircraft manufacturers like Airbus, Boeing, Lockheed Martin, Northrop Grumman and major airlines like American, United, Delta, Alaska, Air China, Singapore and Southwest (the list goes on on) is about $1.01 trillion.
A few other numbers that may blow your mind: Apple employs about 123,000 people. Airbus alone employs about 129,000 people and Boeing pays about 141,000 people’s salaries. Throw in American (122,000), Delta (87,000) and United (88,000) and with just those five companies that’s about 567,000 workers.
Keep in mind that this is just the market’s valuation of Apple — and values can change overnight. Just last week Facebook lost 19% of its value ($119 billion) in one day. And, it takes a whole lot of iPhones to pay for a $437 million Airbus A380.
H/T: The New York Times
Featured image by GREG BAKER/AFP/Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.