These Airbus Seats Could Make Flying Economy Much More Comfortable — Some Day
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Airbus economy seats could be getting a lot more comfortable.
A high-tech prototype of a new Airbus seat designed for short and medium-haul flights is enabled with smart sensors that allows the passenger to control seat settings via an app on their phone. Flyers will be able to change seat temperature and customize the seat back according to their height and size. The seat even has a massage setting.
The app paired with the seat will alert passengers when they should drink water or leave their seats to help blood flow; it also recommends stretches inflight.
Designed by British firm Layer, the seat model is called “Move,” and was made for Airbus economy cabins. It is not clear what aircraft the seats will go on or when. TPG reached out to Airbus for more information but did not receive a response by time of publication.
“Throughout the journey, the Move seat automatically adjusts based on passenger weight, size and movement to maintain optimal ergonomic comfort,” Layer said in a press release. “This is made possible by passing current through the conductive yarn to vary the seat tension.”
The seats do not recline, but instead they have four different “seat modes,” so passengers can adjust their personal settings without infiltrating other flyers’ personal space. Passengers can use Move’s app to make adjustments for different seat modes like “meal time” and “sleep.” Even the seatbacks feature modern design, with a special pouch for a tablet or phone that has a sensor that sends an alert if an item was left behind. The tray tables also fold out to half size for more knee space or the complete full size.
With an aluminum and carbon fiber frame, the Move seats are lightweight, the company says, and will help reduce the overall aircraft weight, which in turn saves fuel costs.
Layer founder Benjamin Hubert says that the concept behind the seats was to bring a little bit of premium cabin comfort to passengers riding in the back of the plane.
“All too often, new concepts for flying are focused on innovation in business class,” Hubert said in a statement. “We were excited to take on this project with Airbus to find ways to improve and add value to the economy class experience — for both the passenger and the airline.”
All images courtesy Layer. Images shown with the consent of Airbus.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees