Another Busy Hurricane Season Predicted for 2018
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Hurricane season runs from June through November and with the season beginning less than two months away, Colorado State University released its initial seasonal forecast this week. Forecasters are predicting an above-average season with 14 named tropical storms; seven are expected to become hurricanes and three are expected to be major hurricanes.
The 2018 forecast is above the long-term average of 12 named storms, but it’s still predicted to be quieter than 2017, which had 17 named storms and six major hurricanes. CSU predicts a 63% chance that at least one major hurricane will make landfall on the continental United States; this is also above the average prediction of 52%.
“Last season had near-record warm sea surface temperatures in the tropical Atlantic,” Dr. Phil Klotzbach, a research scientist at Colorado State University, told CNN.
Currently, the western tropical Atlantic is warmer than usual, but the eastern tropical Atlantic and north Atlantic are currently cooler than average.
“As of now, I don’t see anything in the immediate future that would cause sea surface temperatures to warm up dramatically,” Klotzback added. “However, there is certainly still time for this to occur, which is one of the biggest challenges with issuing forecasts this early.”
The following are the 2018 Atlantic Hurricane Season names:
Featured image by Chip Somodevilla via Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases within the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn a $200 statement credit after your first Delta purchase within the first three months. Offer ends 7/28/21.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles after spending $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months and a $200 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Limited Time Offer: Plus, get a 0% intro APR on purchases for 12 months from the date of account opening, then a variable 15.74%-24.74%. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees