This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Hurricane season runs from June through November and with the season beginning less than two months away, Colorado State University released its initial seasonal forecast this week. Forecasters are predicting an above-average season with 14 named tropical storms; seven are expected to become hurricanes and three are expected to be major hurricanes.
The 2018 forecast is above the long-term average of 12 named storms, but it’s still predicted to be quieter than 2017, which had 17 named storms and six major hurricanes. CSU predicts a 63% chance that at least one major hurricane will make landfall on the continental United States; this is also above the average prediction of 52%.
“Last season had near-record warm sea surface temperatures in the tropical Atlantic,” Dr. Phil Klotzbach, a research scientist at Colorado State University, told CNN.
Currently, the western tropical Atlantic is warmer than usual, but the eastern tropical Atlantic and north Atlantic are currently cooler than average.
“As of now, I don’t see anything in the immediate future that would cause sea surface temperatures to warm up dramatically,” Klotzback added. “However, there is certainly still time for this to occur, which is one of the biggest challenges with issuing forecasts this early.”
The following are the 2018 Atlantic Hurricane Season names:
Featured image by Chip Somodevilla via Getty Images.
With great travel benefits, 2x points on travel & dining and a 50,000 point sign up bonus, the Chase Sapphire Preferred is a great card for those looking to get into the points and miles game. Here are the top 5 reasons it should be in your wallet, or read our definitive review for more details.
- Earn 50,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $625 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- Chase Sapphire Preferred® named a 'Best Travel Credit Card' by MONEY® Magazine, 2016-2017
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- No foreign transaction fees
- 1:1 point transfer to leading airline and hotel loyalty programs
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 50,000 points are worth $625 toward travel
- No blackout dates or travel restrictions - as long as there's a seat on the flight, you can book it through Chase Ultimate Rewards