Another Busy Hurricane Season Predicted for 2018
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Hurricane season runs from June through November and with the season beginning less than two months away, Colorado State University released its initial seasonal forecast this week. Forecasters are predicting an above-average season with 14 named tropical storms; seven are expected to become hurricanes and three are expected to be major hurricanes.
The 2018 forecast is above the long-term average of 12 named storms, but it’s still predicted to be quieter than 2017, which had 17 named storms and six major hurricanes. CSU predicts a 63% chance that at least one major hurricane will make landfall on the continental United States; this is also above the average prediction of 52%.
“Last season had near-record warm sea surface temperatures in the tropical Atlantic,” Dr. Phil Klotzbach, a research scientist at Colorado State University, told CNN.
Currently, the western tropical Atlantic is warmer than usual, but the eastern tropical Atlantic and north Atlantic are currently cooler than average.
“As of now, I don’t see anything in the immediate future that would cause sea surface temperatures to warm up dramatically,” Klotzback added. “However, there is certainly still time for this to occur, which is one of the biggest challenges with issuing forecasts this early.”
The following are the 2018 Atlantic Hurricane Season names:
Featured image by Chip Somodevilla via Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants in the first three months of card membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 Bonus Miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees