This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Hurricane season runs from June through November and with the season beginning less than two months away, Colorado State University released its initial seasonal forecast this week. Forecasters are predicting an above-average season with 14 named tropical storms; seven are expected to become hurricanes and three are expected to be major hurricanes.
The 2018 forecast is above the long-term average of 12 named storms, but it’s still predicted to be quieter than 2017, which had 17 named storms and six major hurricanes. CSU predicts a 63% chance that at least one major hurricane will make landfall on the continental United States; this is also above the average prediction of 52%.
“Last season had near-record warm sea surface temperatures in the tropical Atlantic,” Dr. Phil Klotzbach, a research scientist at Colorado State University, told CNN.
Currently, the western tropical Atlantic is warmer than usual, but the eastern tropical Atlantic and north Atlantic are currently cooler than average.
“As of now, I don’t see anything in the immediate future that would cause sea surface temperatures to warm up dramatically,” Klotzback added. “However, there is certainly still time for this to occur, which is one of the biggest challenges with issuing forecasts this early.”
The following are the 2018 Atlantic Hurricane Season names:
Featured image by Chip Somodevilla via Getty Images.
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.
LIMITED TIME OFFER: 70,000 Miles
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION: $980
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2x miles on AA purchases plus 2x miles at gas stations and at telecommunications merchants, cable and satellite providers and car rental merchants. Get your first checked bag free.
- Designed for businesses
- For a limited time: Earn 70,000 American Airlines AAdvantage® bonus miles after making $4,000 in purchases in first 4 months of account opening*
- First checked bag is free on domestic American Airlines itineraries to reduce travel costs and boost your bottom line*
- 25% savings on American Airlines inflight Wi-Fi when you use your card*
- Enjoy preferred boarding on American Airlines flights*
- Earn 2 AAdvantage® miles per $1 spent on eligible American Airlines purchases
- Earn 2 AAdvantage® miles per $1 spent on purchases at telecommunications merchants, cable and satellite providers, car rental merchants and at gas stations*
- Earn 1 AAdvantage® mile per $1 spent on other purchases*
- No Foreign Transaction Fees*