Save 50% on train fare with Amtrak’s Track Friday Sale
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Amtrak just launched its annual “Track Friday Sale,” offering up to 50% off fares on popular routes nationwide. These fares start at just $15 each way and discounts apply to both coach and Acela business class fares. If you plan to travel on Amtrak between Dec. 8 and April 30, you’ll want to book one of these fares while the sale is still going on.
For more TPG content delivered each morning to your inbox, sign up for our daily newsletter.
Amtrak’s 50% off promotion is valid through Nov. 30 for travel between Dec. 8 and April 30, 2021. There are some blackout dates during the holidays, but for the most part, the schedule is pretty open. You can find all the details here.
Book by: Nov. 30, 2020
Travel between: Dec. 8, 2020 – April 30, 2021
- December 23 – 24, 2020
- December 26 – 24, 2020
- January 3 – 4, 2021
- January 19 – 21 2021
- April 2, 2021
- April 5, 2021
Maximizing this offer
If you’re going to take advantage of Amtrak’s Track Friday Sale, be sure to maximize it with the right credit card. If you have the Amtrak Guest Rewards World Mastercard you’ll earn 3 points per $1 spent on Amtrak purchases. The Capital One Venture Rewards Credit Card is another great option because it earns 2 miles per $1 spent on purchases, plus you can redeem your miles to offset travel purchases at a rate of one cent per mile.
The information for the Amtrak Guest Rewards card has been collected independently by The Points Guy. The card details on this page have not been reviewed or provided by the card issuer.
Traveling on Amtrak during the pandemic
If you’re traveling on Amtrak during the pandemic, you’ll need to wear a mask onboard. Amtrak has implemented an enhanced cleaning protocol, which includes disinfecting the trains and stations. Amtrak is also limiting the number of passengers onboard, to enable social distancing. An onboard filtration system keeps the air fresh every 4-5 minutes.
Should you travel on Amtrak during a pandemic? Public health officials advise against any non-essential travel. However, with a possible COVID vaccine going to market in January, travel might become safer in the near future. Since Amtrak’s promotion is valid on fares through April 30, 2021, I wouldn’t hesitate to book a ticket that far out.
Just keep in mind that fares are nonrefundable, though exchanges are allowed.
Featured image courtesy Amtrak
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs up to two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide including takeout and delivery in the U.S., and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $80 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA PreCheck® after you apply through any Authorized Enrollment Provider. If approved for Global Entry, at no additional charge, you will receive access to TSA PreCheck.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees