Amtrak’s Black Friday Sale Offers 30% Discounts on Fares
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Despite its shortcomings, Amtrak has many advantages, especially if you’re traveling short distances. Unlike when you fly, there’s no TSA security checkpoint to go through, no need to put your phone on airplane mode, and no dreaded middle seat. So if you — like me — enjoy arriving at the train station a cool 20 minutes before departure, never worrying about checking a bag and staying connected to the free Wi-Fi for the entire trip, you’ll be happy to know that Amtrak’s Track Friday Sale is back, following last year’s successful promotion.
From today through Cyber Monday, you can get up to 30% off fares on regional and Acela trains nationwide with no blackout dates. No discount code is needed, as all prices will be automatically deducted from the standard fare. The sale is valid for travel from January 7, 2019, through April 30, 2019.
Fares are as low as $29 between New York and Philadelphia (normally $39 and up) and from $39 between New York and either Boston or Washington D.C. (normally $49 and up). See the tables below for additional fares.
The discounts are valid using points too. Instead of the standard 4,000 points needed to redeem in order to travel between cities like Boston and New York, there are trips available for just 2,795 points between those cities.
The discounted prices are available only on one-way Coach Class fares. Unfortunately, upgrades to business class or sleeping accommodations aren’t permitted. And once you click purchase, the tickets are non-refundable.
Still, it’s a good deal if you frequently travel for business or have been meaning to find a time to visit family and friends who live along one of Amtrak’s routes. It’s also great if you’re traveling with kids. Be sure to act fast, as the lowest fares are only available on certain dates and times.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.