Amtrak’s Black Friday Sale Offers 30% Discounts on Fares
Despite its shortcomings, Amtrak has many advantages, especially if you’re traveling short distances. Unlike when you fly, there’s no TSA security checkpoint to go through, no need to put your phone on airplane mode, and no dreaded middle seat. So if you — like me — enjoy arriving at the train station a cool 20 minutes before departure, never worrying about checking a bag and staying connected to the free Wi-Fi for the entire trip, you’ll be happy to know that Amtrak’s Track Friday Sale is back, following last year’s successful promotion.
From today through Cyber Monday, you can get up to 30% off fares on regional and Acela trains nationwide with no blackout dates. No discount code is needed, as all prices will be automatically deducted from the standard fare. The sale is valid for travel from January 7, 2019, through April 30, 2019.
Fares are as low as $29 between New York and Philadelphia (normally $39 and up) and from $39 between New York and either Boston or Washington D.C. (normally $49 and up). See the tables below for additional fares.
The discounts are valid using points too. Instead of the standard 4,000 points needed to redeem in order to travel between cities like Boston and New York, there are trips available for just 2,795 points between those cities.
The discounted prices are available only on one-way Coach Class fares. Unfortunately, upgrades to business class or sleeping accommodations aren’t permitted. And once you click purchase, the tickets are non-refundable.
Still, it’s a good deal if you frequently travel for business or have been meaning to find a time to visit family and friends who live along one of Amtrak’s routes. It’s also great if you’re traveling with kids. Be sure to act fast, as the lowest fares are only available on certain dates and times.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in your first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at US restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees