Breaking: Amtrak says all employees must be fully vaccinated as of Nov. 1
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
On the heels of several U.S. airlines’ announcements requiring all employees to be vaccinated, Amtrak has announced a similar policy.
Amtrak on Aug. 11 announced that all new hires must be vaccinated against the coronavirus as of Oct. 1, according to an internal memo seen by TPG. Additionally, Amtrak is mandating all employees to be fully vaccinated by Nov. 1. Employees not fully vaccinated will be required to submit a negative COVID-19 test result weekly, according to the memo. Employees will be required to submit proof of vaccination to Amtrak’s self-service portal.
For more TPG news delivered each morning to your inbox, sign up for our daily newsletter.
The U.S. rail company in the memo noted that “many employees” have expressed apprehension about getting a COVID-19 vaccine.
“We understand these concerns and encourage everyone to consult with a medical professional and seek out facts from reputable sources,” William Flynn, Amtrak’s chief executive officer, wrote in the memo.
The news comes as several airlines have instituted vaccine mandates for employees. United Airlines announced in early August it would require all of its U.S. employees to receive a COVID-19 vaccination.
Frontier Airlines says it will require all direct employees to be fully vaccinated against the coronavirus by Oct. 1.
In May, Delta Air Lines CEO Ed Bastian said that the airline would require all new hires to be vaccinated, but stopped short of requiring it for current employees. American Airlines, meanwhile, has not implemented a similar requirement.
Featured photo by Joe Raedle/Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,600
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 3X points on dining and 2x points on travel, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- Enjoy benefits such as a $50 annual Ultimate Rewards Hotel Credit, 5x on travel purchased through Chase Ultimate Rewards®, 3x on dining and 2x on all other travel purchases, plus more.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.