Breaking: Amtrak says all employees must be fully vaccinated as of Nov. 1
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
On the heels of several U.S. airlines’ announcements requiring all employees to be vaccinated, Amtrak has announced a similar policy.
Amtrak on Aug. 11 announced that all new hires must be vaccinated against the coronavirus as of Oct. 1, according to an internal memo seen by TPG. Additionally, Amtrak is mandating all employees to be fully vaccinated by Nov. 1. Employees not fully vaccinated will be required to submit a negative COVID-19 test result weekly, according to the memo. Employees will be required to submit proof of vaccination to Amtrak’s self-service portal.
For more TPG news delivered each morning to your inbox, sign up for our daily newsletter.
The U.S. rail company in the memo noted that “many employees” have expressed apprehension about getting a COVID-19 vaccine.
“We understand these concerns and encourage everyone to consult with a medical professional and seek out facts from reputable sources,” William Flynn, Amtrak’s chief executive officer, wrote in the memo.
The news comes as several airlines have instituted vaccine mandates for employees. United Airlines announced in early August it would require all of its U.S. employees to receive a COVID-19 vaccination.
Frontier Airlines says it will require all direct employees to be fully vaccinated against the coronavirus by Oct. 1.
In May, Delta Air Lines CEO Ed Bastian said that the airline would require all new hires to be vaccinated, but stopped short of requiring it for current employees. American Airlines, meanwhile, has not implemented a similar requirement.
Featured photo by Joe Raedle/Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees