This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Amtrak’s Great Dome Car will soon be back on the track.
The already amazing views of Amtrak’s rail routes are just getting better. This fall, Amtrak is temporarily bringing back its 1955 Great Dome Car. Its top deck is enveloped by windows that peel up to the roof of the car for an airy, scenic ride that’s perfect for viewing the season’s change.
The car will only run on certain routes between August 11 through November 2, so if you plan to travel on Amtrak to one of the destinations it will be attached to, you might want to snag a seat on the upper deck of the car. Keep in mind, though, that the seats on the upper deck are not reserved – they’re first come, first served, so Amtrak encourages passengers to rotate in and out of seats on the top deck.
Between August 11 and September 23, the car will be on the Downeaster train route from Brunswick to Portland and finally to Boston. And from September 27 to November 2, the Great Dome Car will be available to ride on the Adirondack route as it will be traveling from Montreal to Albany to New York City. All of the rides are said to have stunning, lush views of the surrounding landscape.
If you’re looking to book a trip on one of the Great Dome Car routes using SPG points, time’s running out! Due to the SPG/Marriott merger, you will only be able to transfer your SPG points to Amtrak before July 31.
Featured image by Brianna Soukup/Portland Press Herald via Getty Images.
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.
NEW INCREASED OFFER: 60,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- Chase Sapphire Preferred named "Best Credit Card for Flexible Travel Redemption" - Kiplinger's Personal Finance, June 2018
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- No foreign transaction fees
- 1:1 point transfer to leading airline and hotel loyalty programs
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel
- No blackout dates or travel restrictions - as long as there's a seat on the flight, you can book it through Chase Ultimate Rewards