Amtrak Is Bringing Back Its Historic Great Dome Car
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Amtrak’s Great Dome Car will soon be back on the track.
The already amazing views of Amtrak’s rail routes are just getting better. This fall, Amtrak is temporarily bringing back its 1955 Great Dome Car. Its top deck is enveloped by windows that peel up to the roof of the car for an airy, scenic ride that’s perfect for viewing the season’s change.
The car will only run on certain routes between August 11 through November 2, so if you plan to travel on Amtrak to one of the destinations it will be attached to, you might want to snag a seat on the upper deck of the car. Keep in mind, though, that the seats on the upper deck are not reserved – they’re first come, first served, so Amtrak encourages passengers to rotate in and out of seats on the top deck.
Between August 11 and September 23, the car will be on the Downeaster train route from Brunswick to Portland and finally to Boston. And from September 27 to November 2, the Great Dome Car will be available to ride on the Adirondack route as it will be traveling from Montreal to Albany to New York City. All of the rides are said to have stunning, lush views of the surrounding landscape.
If you’re looking to book a trip on one of the Great Dome Car routes using SPG points, time’s running out! Due to the SPG/Marriott merger, you will only be able to transfer your SPG points to Amtrak before July 31.
Featured image by Brianna Soukup/Portland Press Herald via Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,600
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 3X points on dining and 2x points on travel, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- Enjoy benefits such as a $50 annual Ultimate Rewards Hotel Credit, 5x on travel purchased through Chase Ultimate Rewards®, 3x on dining and 2x on all other travel purchases, plus more.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.