Amtrak Is Bringing Back Its Historic Great Dome Car
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Amtrak’s Great Dome Car will soon be back on the track.
The already amazing views of Amtrak’s rail routes are just getting better. This fall, Amtrak is temporarily bringing back its 1955 Great Dome Car. Its top deck is enveloped by windows that peel up to the roof of the car for an airy, scenic ride that’s perfect for viewing the season’s change.
The car will only run on certain routes between August 11 through November 2, so if you plan to travel on Amtrak to one of the destinations it will be attached to, you might want to snag a seat on the upper deck of the car. Keep in mind, though, that the seats on the upper deck are not reserved – they’re first come, first served, so Amtrak encourages passengers to rotate in and out of seats on the top deck.
Between August 11 and September 23, the car will be on the Downeaster train route from Brunswick to Portland and finally to Boston. And from September 27 to November 2, the Great Dome Car will be available to ride on the Adirondack route as it will be traveling from Montreal to Albany to New York City. All of the rides are said to have stunning, lush views of the surrounding landscape.
If you’re looking to book a trip on one of the Great Dome Car routes using SPG points, time’s running out! Due to the SPG/Marriott merger, you will only be able to transfer your SPG points to Amtrak before July 31.
Featured image by Brianna Soukup/Portland Press Herald via Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants in the first three months of card membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 Bonus Miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees