Watch Out: Amtrak Guest Rewards Points Now Expire After 24 Months of Inactivity
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
It’s one thing to impose a negative change on an award program without any advanced notice, but it’s an altogether different thing to do so without notifying your members at all. Yet that’s what the Amtrak Guest Rewards program has done. As first reported by View From the Wing, the program recently updated its terms and conditions to reflect that points now expire after 24 months of inactivity instead of the previous 36 months.
While the change itself isn’t that significant compared to other recent updates, the lack of transparency is surprising and could create a nasty surprise for members that go a couple of years without any activity in the program.
Keep Your Amtrak Guest Rewards Points from Expiring
Like many frequent flyer and hotel loyalty programs, Amtrak points only expire due to inactivity. As a result, any time you earn or redeem points, your expiration date is extended (now for 24 months from that date). Qualifying activities include earning points through travel or redeeming points for a train ticket. You can even extend the expiration date by redeeming points for small things like magazines or making a purchase of any size through the program’s shopping portal.
And if you have one of the two Amtrak Guest Rewards credit cards from Bank of America, then your points will never expire. The two cards offered are:
- Amtrak Guest Rewards® World Mastercard®: $79 annual fee
- Amtrak Guest Rewards® Platinum Mastercard®: No annual fee
Unfortunately the benefits on the no-annual-fee card pale in comparison to its higher-fee counterpart, but if you really want to hang onto your Amtrak points, either card will help in that endeavor.
About Amtrak Guest Rewards
Amtrak Guest Rewards has used a revenue-based system since 2015, where the number of points required closely matches the price of the ticket. TPG’s most recent valuations pegged these points at 2.5 cents each. While there are no credit card transfer partners for this program, you can transfer American Express points to Choice Hotels at a 1:1 ratio and then transfer those Choice points to Amtrak at a rate of 32,000 to 5,000. However, that transfer ratio makes this a very poor value proposition, unless you just need a few Guest Rewards points to top off your account for a specific redemption.
Any devaluation without notice isn’t a good thing, but it’s particularly galling when a change is made without even communicating it at all. That being said, shifting from a 36- to 24-month expiration policy shouldn’t have a meaningful impact on anyone who uses the Amtrak Guest Rewards program on a semi-regular basis. Just be sure to keep this in mind if you have an upcoming lull in your Amtrak travel to make sure you don’t lose out on your hard-earned points.
Featured photo by Katie Genter/The Points Guy
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.