Deal alert: Book a private room on Amtrak Auto Train, bring a friend for free
As the travel industry reopens following COVID-19 shutdowns, TPG suggests that you talk to your doctor, follow health officials’ guidance and research local travel restrictions before booking that next trip. We will be here to help you prepare, whether it is next month or next year.
Amtrak’s buy-one-get-one deal on private rooms is back!
Amtrak’s newest promotion is for Roomettes on its popular Auto Train, which runs nonstop between Lorton, VA, and Sanford, FL. If you buy one Roomette, you’ll have the ability to bring a companion along for the ride for free. The sale is available for purchase from now through Oct. 11, with travel from Oct. 4 to Dec. 17, 2020. Note that there are several blackout days, which are between Nov. 27 – Dec. 2, 2020.
The offer is available on the Amtrak website and app when you enter the promo code C241.
Roomettes are Amtrak’s smallest private rooms and are perfect for solo travelers or a duo looking for privacy and social distancing. Roomette perks and amenities include:
- Complimentary lounge access
- Priority boarding
- Complimentary meals for each ticket-holder
- Fresh linens and towels
- Comfortable seats that convert into a bed (the top bunk folds down from the wall)
- Personal valet service from a dedicated car attendant, including bed turn-down and coffee delivery
- Electrical outlet
- Climate-controlled temperature
- Individual reading lights
- Garment rack
- Soap and shower amenities
- Bottled water
You can score Roomette tickets for under $400 each way, perfect for social distancing and comfort.
If you decide to hop on the promotion, make sure you pay for the tickets with a travel rewards card like the Chase Sapphire Preferred Card or the Chase Sapphire Reserve, which is the best card for general travel purchases.
You might also consider applying for one of two co-branded credit cards issued by Bank of America. The Amtrak Guest Rewards® World Mastercard® and no-annual-fee Amtrak Guest Rewards® Platinum Mastercard® both offer 20,000 points after spending $1,000 in the first 90 days of account opening. TPG values Amtrak points at 2.5 cents each, making each of these bonuses worth $500.
Make sure to check out our ultimate guide to Amtrak Guest Rewards for more on how to earn and burn points with the loyalty program.
The information for the Amtrak Guest Rewards World card and Amtrak Guest Rewards Platinum card has been collected independently by The Points Guy. The card details on this page have not been reviewed or provided by the card issuer.
Featured photo by Ed Pizzarello / The Points Guy
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in your first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at US restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees