Amex adds virtual Equinox gym credit for select cardholders
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Update: Some offers mentioned below are no longer available.
More people than ever are participating in at-home workouts. For months, gyms and fitness studios were closed. Many of these facilities are now beginning to reopen, with gym-goers needing to weigh the risk of exposure while navigating new COVID-19 procedures.
According to a TD Ameritrade study, gym membership cancellations have been booming — up a whopping 563% year over year. That’s why fitness brands are going all-in on a hybrid blend of virtual and in-person workouts.
For more TPG news delivered each morning to your inbox, sign up for our daily newsletter.
Virtual fitness platforms, such as Peloton, stayed ahead of the curve. And earlier this year, popular boutique fitness brand Equinox launched a virtual workout app of its own, Variis. Now, Amex is partnering with Variis to provide statement credits for a monthly membership.
Variis is a fitness platform with a standalone mobile app membership for all consumers, priced at $39.99 per month. There are a variety of Equinox live-streamed classes, workouts and it works in conjunction with the SoulCycle at-home bike.
This is how you can earn a statement credit, starting Oct. 9, 2020:
- Eligible cardholders with The Platinum Card® from American Express: up to $25 back each month in statement credits
- Eligible cardholders with the Blue Cash Preferred® Card from American Express: up to $10 back each month in statement credits
- Other eligible Amex cardholders: $10 back each month in statement credits for the first three months (available through April 1, 2021)
Back in 2013, American Express ended Equinox benefits but they look to be teaming up yet again. While not at the level of benefits we say previously, this statement credit offer is a nice touch for those on the fence about purchasing a Variis membership.
This renewed Amex and Equinox partnerships looks to bring the next generation of wellness offerings to modern travelers on the move. In fact, the recently announced Centurion Lounge at New York-JFK will have an Equinox Body Lab studio, offering pre-flight restorative therapies.
Unfortunately, only Variis standalone memberships are eligible for the offer. Other Equinox memberships are not eligible to receive this credit. Since its release, all U.S. Equinox members receive complimentary access to Variis.
You can sign up for Variis and earn an automatic statement credit at the dedicated Amex and Variis link here. All Amex cardholders should be receiving more information on this benefit in the weeks to come.
Featured photo by skynesher/Getty Images
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees