This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
American Express Membership Rewards points just got a little more valuable for transfers to Cathay Pacific’s Asia Miles program — but what that value is will depend. Amex has launched a limited-time offer that awards a bonus when transferring Membership Rewards points to Asia Miles.
Unlike other bonuses, this one is varied and can range from 10% to 30% when transferring points into the mileage program.
After logging in to my Amex account, I found just a 10% bonus, and other TPG staffers had the same luck. However, Doctor of Credit reports that some cardholders are seeing 20% and 30% bonuses in their accounts.
It’s unclear how Amex is determining the transfer rate and there’s currently no expiration date for this offer, but it surely won’t be around forever.
Cathay Pacific runs Asia Miles, which allows you to book flights on the airline itself and its many Oneworld partners like American and British Airways. Unfortunately, Asia miles was significantly devalued earlier this summer and moved to a dynamic pricing system which can sometimes be quite confusing.
That being said, it’s still possible to get good value from the program — for example, you can redeem 45,000 miles for a one-way business-class award on Cathay on flights up to 5,000 miles long. If you had the 30% bonus, you’d need to move 35,000 Amex points for that flight.
Or you can fly a Oneworld carrier like American, from the New York to London in business, for just 90,000 miles round-trip — requiring just 70,000 Amex points with a 30% bonus.
To find the bonus, log in to your American Express account and on the homepage click “Membership” –> “Rewards” –> “Transfer Points” –> “View All” to see what your bonus is
If your in need of Membership Rewards points, you can earn them with these credit and charge cards:
And if you need to top off your balance of Asia Miles after transferring from Amex, remember that both Citi ThankYou points and Marriott Bonvoy points transfer into the program.
H/T: Doctor of Credit
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points Terms Apply.
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: Delta Sky Club and Centurion lounge access, $200 annual airline fee credit and up to $200 in Uber credits annually
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 60,000 Membership Rewards® points after you use your new Card to make $5,000 in purchases in your first 3 months.
- Enjoy Uber VIP status and free rides in the U.S. up to $15 each month, plus a bonus $20 in December. That can be up to $200 in annual Uber savings.
- 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel.
- 5X Membership Rewards points on prepaid hotels booked on amextravel.com.
- Enjoy access to the Global Lounge Collection, the only credit card airport lounge access program that includes proprietary lounge locations around the world.
- Receive complimentary benefits with an average total value of $550 with Fine Hotels & Resorts. Learn More.
- $200 Airline Fee Credit, up to $200 per calendar year in baggage fees and more at one qualifying airline.
- Get up to $100 in statement credits annually for purchases at Saks Fifth Avenue on your Platinum Card®. Enrollment required.
- $550 annual fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees