Amex Launches Targeted Transfer Bonuses to Marriott and JetBlue
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Update: Some offers mentioned below are no longer available. View the current offers here.
American Express is known for its frequent transfer bonuses, offering anywhere from 10%-50% extra points or miles when you transfer your Membership Rewards points to partner airlines and hotels. For instance, Amex launched a 30% transfer bonus to Virgin Atlantic Flying Club in May that’s available through July 1, and last week Amex launched a 20% bonus to Qantas that’s available through June.
We’re now seeing two new promotions allowing targeted card holders to get a 40 or 50% bonus on transfers to Marriott Bonvoy and a 40% bonus to JetBlue TrueBlue. However, not every cardholder is eligible, and being targeted for one of the bonuses doesn’t mean that you’ll necessarily be targeted for both. Likewise, there doesn’t seem to be any rhyme or reason as to who is being targeted for the higher bonus to Marriott Bonvoy.
To see if you have one (or both) of the offers, follow these easy steps:
- Log in to your account at AmericanExpress.com.
- Click on Explore Rewards.
- Find and click on Transfer Points, then click View All to see all transfer partners.
- Find Marriott and JetBlue, and look for the “Offer” notation at the top right.
In TPG’s most recent valuations, Marriott Bonvoy points are worth 0.8 cents each, while Membership Rewards are worth a far higher 2.0 cents apiece. So, even with a 40% or 50% bonus, you’d be losing a lot of value in the transfer.
While still not the best use of your Membership Rewards points, the bonus to JetBlue is a lot more attractive and the highest we’ve ever seen offered by American Express. Being a revenue-based redemption program, TrueBlue points have a pretty consistent value of 1.3 cents apiece so there’s no way to get outsized from your points. However, the bonus could be worth taking advantage if you’re just a bit shy of an award flight.
Just note that transferring Amex points to JetBlue will incur a $0.0006 fee per Membership Rewards point to offset the federal excise tax, so that will lower the value of this option.
Based on our tests, Amex points usually appear instantly in your Marriott Bonvoy and JetBlue accounts after a transfer has been initiated. Targeted card holders can transfer as many points as needed, as there’s no stated maximum transfer amount. Additionally, there is no set end date for either offer at the moment.
How to Earn Membership Rewards Points
If you currently don’t have any Membership Rewards points, a welcome bonus from one of the following cards can help boost your balance, although you’ll likely not see it in your account before the transfer bonus ends. However, you can use it for the next time a transfer bonus comes around.
- The Platinum Card® from American Express: 100,000 Membership Rewards® Points after you spend $6,000 on purchases in your first six months of Card Membership. Plus, earn 5x points on flights booked directly with airlines (on up to $500,000 on these purchases per calendar year) or with American Express Travel and prepaid hotels booked with American Express Travel.
- American Express® Gold Card: Earn 60,000 Membership Rewards® points after you spend $4,000 on eligible purchases with your new Card within the first 6 months. Plus earn 4x points at restaurants and at US supermarkets (on up to $25,000 per year in purchases; then 1x) and 3x points on flights booked directly with airlines or on .
- The Business Platinum Card® from American Express: Earn 120,000 Membership Rewards® points after you spend $15,000 on eligible purchases with the Business Platinum Card within the first three months of card membership. Plus earn 5x points on flights and prepaid hotels on
You can also earn Amex MR points through the Ebates shopping portal.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 100,000 Points Terms Apply.
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $2,000
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: Delta Sky Club and Centurion lounge access, up to $200 annual airline fee credit and up to $200 in Uber Cash annually (only for use in the U.S.) (Enrollment required for select benefits)
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 100,000 Membership Rewards® points after you spend $6,000 on purchases on your new Card in your first 6 months of Card Membership. Apply and select your preferred metal Card design: classic Platinum Card®, Platinum x Kehinde Wiley, or Platinum x Julie Mehretu.
- Earn 5X Membership Rewards® Points for flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel up to $500,000 on these purchases per calendar year and earn 5X Membership Rewards® Points on prepaid hotels booked with American Express Travel.
- $200 Hotel Credit: Get $200 back in statement credits each year on prepaid Fine Hotels + Resorts® or The Hotel Collection bookings, which requires a minimum two-night stay, through American Express Travel when you pay with your Platinum Card®.
- $240 Digital Entertainment Credit: Get up to $20 back each month on eligible purchases made with your Platinum Card® on one or more of the following: Audible, Disney+, The Disney Bundle, ESPN+, Hulu, Peacock, SiriusXM, and The New York Times. Enrollment required.
- $155 Walmart+ Credit: Cover the cost of a $12.95 monthly Walmart+ membership with a statement credit after you pay for Walmart+ each month with your Platinum Card. Cost includes $12.95 plus applicable local sales tax.
- American Express has expanded The Centurion® Network to include 40+ Centurion Lounge and Studio locations worldwide. There are even more places your Platinum Card® can get you complimentary entry and exclusive perks.
- $200 Airline Fee Credit: Get up to $200 in statement credits per calendar year in baggage fees and more at one select qualifying airline.
- $200 Uber Cash: Enjoy Uber VIP status and up to $200 in Uber savings on rides or eats orders in the US annually. Uber Cash and Uber VIP status is available to Basic Card Member only.
- $300 Equinox Credit: Get up to $25 back each month on the Equinox+ digital fitness app, or eligible Equinox club memberships when you pay with your Platinum Card®. Enrollment required.
- $179 CLEAR® Credit: Use your Card and get up to $179 back per year on your CLEAR® membership.
- $695 annual fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees