Amex Launches Targeted Transfer Bonuses to Marriott and JetBlue
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
American Express is known for its frequent transfer bonuses, offering anywhere from 10%-50% extra points or miles when you transfer your Membership Rewards points to partner airlines and hotels. For instance, Amex launched a 30% transfer bonus to Virgin Atlantic Flying Club in May that’s available through July 1, and last week Amex launched a 20% bonus to Qantas that’s available through June.
We’re now seeing two new promotions allowing targeted card holders to get a 40 or 50% bonus on transfers to Marriott Bonvoy and a 40% bonus to JetBlue TrueBlue. However, not every cardholder is eligible, and being targeted for one of the bonuses doesn’t mean that you’ll necessarily be targeted for both. Likewise, there doesn’t seem to be any rhyme or reason as to who is being targeted for the higher bonus to Marriott Bonvoy.
To see if you have one (or both) of the offers, follow these easy steps:
- Log in to your account at AmericanExpress.com.
- Click on Explore Rewards.
- Find and click on Transfer Points, then click View All to see all transfer partners.
- Find Marriott and JetBlue, and look for the “Offer” notation at the top right.
In TPG’s most recent valuations, Marriott Bonvoy points are worth 0.8 cents each, while Membership Rewards are worth a far higher 2.0 cents apiece. So, even with a 40% or 50% bonus, you’d be losing a lot of value in the transfer.
While still not the best use of your Membership Rewards points, the bonus to JetBlue is a lot more attractive and the highest we’ve ever seen offered by American Express. Being a revenue-based redemption program, TrueBlue points have a pretty consistent value of 1.3 cents apiece so there’s no way to get outsized from your points. However, the bonus could be worth taking advantage if you’re just a bit shy of an award flight.
Just note that transferring Amex points to JetBlue will incur a $0.0006 fee per Membership Rewards point to offset the federal excise tax, so that will lower the value of this option.
Based on our tests, Amex points usually appear instantly in your Marriott Bonvoy and JetBlue accounts after a transfer has been initiated. Targeted card holders can transfer as many points as needed, as there’s no stated maximum transfer amount. Additionally, there is no set end date for either offer at the moment.
How to Earn Membership Rewards Points
If you currently don’t have any Membership Rewards points, a welcome bonus from one of the following cards can help boost your balance, although you’ll likely not see it in your account before the transfer bonus ends. However, you can use it for the next time a transfer bonus comes around.
- The Platinum Card® from American Express: 75,000 Membership Rewards® Points after you spend $5,000 on purchases in your first 6 months of Card Membership. Plus, earn 5x points on flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel and prepaid hotels booked with American Express Travel.
- American Express® Gold Card: Earn 60,000 Membership Rewards® points after you spend $4,000 on eligible purchases with your new Card within the first 6 months. Plus earn 4x points at restaurants worldwide and at US supermarkets (on up to $25,000 per year in purchases; then 1x) and 3x points on flights booked directly with airlines or on .
- The Business Platinum Card® from American Express: Earn 125,000 Membership Rewards® points after you spend $15,000 on eligible purchases with the Business Platinum Card within the first three months of card membership. Plus earn 5x points on flights and prepaid hotels on
You can also earn Amex MR points through the Ebates shopping portal.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 75,000 Points Terms Apply.
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,500
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: Delta Sky Club and Centurion lounge access, up to $200 annual airline fee credit and up to $200 in Uber savings annually (only for use in the U.S.) (Enrollment required for select benefits)
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 75,000 Membership Rewards® Points after you spend $5,000 on purchases on your new Card in your first 6 months of Card Membership.
- Earn 10x points on eligible purchases on your new Card at U.S. Gas Stations and U.S. Supermarkets, on up to $15,000 in combined purchases, during your first 6 months of Card Membership. That’s an additional 9 points on top of the 1 point you earn for these purchases.
- Enjoy Uber VIP status and up to $200 in Uber savings on rides or eats orders in the US annually. Uber Cash and Uber VIP status is available to Basic Card Member and Additional Centurion Cards only.
- Earn 5X Membership Rewards® Points for flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel. Starting January 1, 2021, earn 5X points on up to $500,000 on these purchases per calendar year.
- 5X Membership Rewards® Points on prepaid hotels booked with American Express Travel.
- Enjoy complimentary access to the Global Lounge Collection, the only credit card airport lounge access program that includes proprietary lounge locations around the world.
- Receive complimentary benefits through American Express Travel with an average total value of $550 with Fine Hotels & Resorts® program at over 1,100 properties. Learn More.
- Get up to $100 in statement credits annually for purchases at Saks Fifth Avenue on your Platinum Card®. That’s up to $50 in statement credits semi-annually. Enrollment required.
- $550 annual fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees