Enrollment period extended: Amex giving cardmembers $50 each to spend with small businesses
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Update: Some offers mentioned below are no longer available.
Editor’s note: This post has been updated with new information.
American Express has long encouraged customers to shop with small businesses. During the 2010 recession, the issuer launched its “Small Business Saturday” campaign — each year, on the Saturday after Thanksgiving, the company encourages shopping with small, local businesses. The initiative helped generate a reported $19.6 billion in spending on that one day in 2019.
Since businesses will continue to need our support more than ever following the pandemic, Amex has brought back its previous small business statement credit incentive — Amex cardmembers are eligible to receive up to a total of $50 in statement credits when shopping at small businesses. Originally, you could enroll in this offer anytime between June 29, through July 26, but Amex has just extended the enrollment period to Aug. 23, 2020.
Here’s how it works:
- Cardmembers are eligible for $5 statement credits whenever they spend $10 or more at small businesses
- Customers can earn statement credits up to 10 times, for a grand total of $50 per cardmember
- The incentive is available as an Amex Offer, which cardmembers must activate by Aug. 23
- All U.S. Amex consumer, small business, Serve and Bluebird cards are eligible
- Other prepaid cards, corporate cards and cards issued outside the U.S. are not eligible
While most Amex Offers are targeted to specific cards or cardmembers, this particular promotion will be widely available — whether you have the Hilton Honors American Express Business Card or The Platinum Card® from American Express, you should be able to take advantage.
Featured photo by Isabelle Raphael/The Points Guy.
Additional reporting by Madison Blancaflor.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: Up to 100,000 bonus miles
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,040
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 3X miles on United® purchases
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80K bonus miles after you spend $5,000 on purchases in the first 3 months your account is open. Plus, an additional 20K bonus miles after you spend $10,000 in the first 6 months
- $250 Annual Fee
- Earn 3X miles on United® purchases, 2X miles at restaurants, on select streaming services & all other travel, 1X on all other purchases
- Earn 3X miles on United Airlines purchases
- Earn 2X miles at restaurants and on select streaming services
- Earn 2X miles on all other travel
- Earn 1X mile on all other purchases
- Each year, receive a $125 credit on United® purchases and two 5k-mile anniversary award flight credits. Terms apply.