First on TPG: Amex unveils fall cardholder events, including a floating NYC restaurant and more
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Update: Some offers mentioned below are no longer available.
Sometimes, credit card rewards aren’t just about points or cash back.
Two years ago, Amex’s acquisition of restaurant reservations platform Resy was a step towards making dining out a key cardholder value proposition.
And earlier this summer, Amex and Resy launched the Global Dining Access program for premium cardholders, including those with The Platinum Card® from American Express, that can help them secure hard-to-book tables and gives them access to exclusive events. This coincided with the card’s major refresh, which included several other new perks but also an increase to the card’s annual fee to $695 (see rates and fees).
For more TPG news and travel tips delivered each morning to your inbox, sign up for our free daily newsletter.
Amex Gold Pop-Up Diners
You’ll earn 4x Membership Rewards points at U.S. supermarkets (on up to $25,000 in spending per calendar year, then 1x) and on dining worldwide. The card also comes with up to $240 in annual statement credits that are dining-focused. Enrollment required for select benefits.
As first reported by TPG, this fall, Resy is introducing the “Pop-Up Diner,” a traveling outdoor restaurant with weekend-long stops in four cities between Sept. 10 and Oct. 3, 2021.
Amex Gold cardholders have exclusive access to this reimagined dine-in experience while the general public can order takeout. Dining in will include four-course prix fixe menus and outdoor seating within the pop-up.
In addition, Gold Card members can play “The Goldball Machine,” a massive gumball machine filled with gold balls instead of gumballs — with each ball denoting a prize including travel gift cards, Broadway tickets and more.
Here’s the Pop-Up Diner schedule:
- Restaurant: Andros Taverna
- Sept. 10-12, 2021
- Restaurant: Osteria
- Sept. 17-19, 2021
- Washington D.C.
- Restaurant: Anju
- Sept. 24-26, 2021
- New York
- Restaurant: Rezdôra
- Oct. 1-3, 2021
Dine-in tickets go on sale on the Resy platform on Aug. 10 at 10 a.m. ET exclusively for Amex Gold cardholders (make sure to link your Amex card to your Resy profile). Tickets are $75 per person for a four-course menu including beer, wine and gratuity.
Earlier this year, Amex and Resy put on several restaurant-related events including a drive-thru dining experience and picnic. This activation continues on with the theme, emphasizing just how much of a powerhouse the Gold card is for foodies.
Amex Platinum Coast
The more premium Platinum card is having a week-long event of its own, and you can experience it on a floating restaurant right on New York City’s East River.
Dubbed “Platinum Coast,” Amex and Resy are creating a fine-dining experience from Sept. 17-21 with several award-winning chefs such as Michael Solomonov and Nancy Silverton.
The waterfront dining event will effectively be an in-person celebration of the aforementioned Amex Platinum card refresh and launch of Resy’s Global Dining Access.
Resy says that 20 different menus will be served over the course of the five-day dining event, with the opportunity to make a reservation for lunch, aperitivo, dinner or late night. Prices range from $95 up to $250 and are inclusive of drinks and gratuity.
Based on the renderings provided by Resy, this looks to be quite the swanky affair with DJs, cabana-like seating and a lush, tropical ambiance.
Tickets go on sale on Aug. 18 at 10 a.m. ET and, similar to the Amex Gold diner events, your Platinum card must be linked to your Resy account in order to purchase a ticket.
Although they are among the most premium rewards cards around, the Amex Gold and Platinum card both enjoy a wide swath of appeal. With in-person experiences coming back, Amex is trying to be top of mind for every aspect of a cardholders’ life, including dining out.
In 2021, Amex and other issuers will continue to push to be a one-stop shop for travel, dining and lifestyle-like benefits, so hopefully, we will see them add even more frequent and creative in-person events for their cardholders.
For rates and fees of the Amex Platinum, please click here.
Featured photo courtesy of Resy.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants in the first three months of card membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 Bonus Miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees