5 Things I Learned While Trying to Buy John Mayer Tickets via Amex Presale
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
So, let’s get something out of the way really quickly: I’m obsessed with John Mayer. Like, have over 200 of his songs, have been to hundreds of concerts obsessed. When he announced he was going back on tour this summer, I was, unsurprisingly to anyone who knows me, FREAKING OUT. Better yet, he was having an Amex presale! Early access to JM concerts and better access to floor seats because of my credit card? On brand.
Not so fast, young grasshopper. There were a few snafus here when I attempted to buy tickets for the three shows I wanted to attend (I wasn’t kidding when I said I was obsessed). After likely shaving a year off my life and multiple calls to Amex later, I’ve learned a thing or two — and now I want to share those very valuable life lessons with you. Please, someone, somewhere, learn from my mistakes.
- I wasn’t able to use my Amex EveryDay® or EveryDay® Preferred card to get presale access, but luckily using the code on the back of the Platinum Card® from American Express did the trick for me.
- The offer code is the customer service number on the back of your card.
- Amex will only let you buy two orders’ worth (aka 2 shows) under the same account.
- You can’t use your Amex offer code and then pay with a different card (such as one from Chase, Capital One, etc.) to get around this.
- Apparently there are a lot of other crazy people like me because most of the reserved seats are gone.
In related news, I’ll be online for the general sale to get tickets for my third show at 12 pm on the dot Friday — and don’t even think about taking my floor seats.
Featured image via Shutterstock.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 100,000 Points Terms Apply.
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $2,000
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: Delta Sky Club and Centurion lounge access, up to $200 annual airline fee credit and up to $200 in Uber Cash annually (only for use in the U.S.) (Enrollment required for select benefits)
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 100,000 Membership Rewards® Points after you spend $6,000 on purchases on the Card in your first 6 months of Card Membership.
- Plus, earn 10x points on eligible purchases on the Card at restaurants worldwide and when you Shop Small in the U.S., on up to $25,000 in combined purchases, during your first 6 months of Card Membership.
- Earn 5X Membership Rewards® Points for flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel up to $500,000 on these purchases per calendar year.
- Earn 5X Membership Rewards® Points on prepaid hotels booked with American Express Travel.
- $200 Hotel Credit: Get $200 back in statement credits each year on prepaid Fine Hotels + Resorts® or The Hotel Collection bookings with American Express Travel when you pay with your Platinum Card®.
- $240 Digital Entertainment Credit: Get up to $20 in statement credits each month when you pay for eligible purchases with the Platinum Card® at your choice of one or more of the following providers: Peacock, Audible, SiriusXM, and The New York Times. Enrollment required.
- New! American Express has expanded The Centurion® Network to include 40+ Centurion Lounge and Studio locations worldwide. Now there are even more places your Platinum Card® can get you complimentary entry and exclusive perks.
- $200 Airline Fee Credit: Get up to $200 in statement credits per calendar year in baggage fees and more at one qualifying airline.
- $200 Uber Cash: Enjoy Uber VIP status and up to $200 in Uber savings on rides or eats orders in the US annually. Uber Cash and Uber VIP status available to Basic Card Member only.
- $300 Equinox Credit: Get up to $25 back each month on select Equinox memberships. Enrollment required.
- $179 CLEAR® Credit: Use your Card and get up to $179 back per year on your CLEAR® membership.
- $695 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees