Targeted: Up to 45,000 points by referring friends to this Amex card — they’ll get up to 350,000 points, too
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Editor’s note: This is a recurring post, regularly updated with new information.
One of the best ways to quickly earn points and miles is through credit card welcome offers and sign-up bonuses. However, even if you’re not in the market for a new card, you can help your friends and family out — and earn some rewards for yourself, to boot.
Want more credit card news and travel advice from TPG? Sign up for our daily newsletter.
Chase and American Express make it easy for you to refer friends or family members for select cards. And now, we’re seeing the single most generous combination of referral and welcome offers on a single card.
45,000 points for you
If you have the Amex Platinum Card, you may be eligible for 45,000 Membership Rewards points for each approved referral. Those points are worth $900, according to TPG valuations.
We’re also seeing targeted offers for 30,000 points — still a stunning bonus, considering refer-a-friend offers are usually for 15,000 points.
Up to 350,000 points for your friend
What makes this offer even more noteworthy is that whoever you refer can earn up to 350,000 points on the Amex Platinum. Here’s how that’s broken down.
First, the person who is referred will receive 100,000 Membership Rewards points after spending $6,000 in the first six months of card membership. Additionally, they’ll receive 10x points on up to $25,000 in combined purchases at restaurants worldwide and when you Shop Small within the U.S. during the same first six months of card membership. If you do the math, the earning potential — if fully maximized — is a whopping 350,000 points.
Combine that with your 45,000-point referral bonus and the windfall from this offer is 395,000 points between the referred and referrer.
You may also want to check the CardMatch Tool to see if you’re targeted for an up to 150k-point Platinum Card® from American Express. These offers are subject to change at any time. While you won’t earn any referral points this way, you may score hundreds of dollars more worth of points if targeted for these elevated offers.
Check to see if you’re eligible
To see if your Platinum card is eligible, log in to your account from Amex’s referral page to see if your card has an eligible referral offer. While I was not targeted for this referral bonus on my personal Platinum card, some TPG staffers received the 45,000-point offer along with the enhanced welcome bonus that you see above.
Sure enough, if you click through to eligible referral links, the referred individual will see this landing page for 100,000 Membership Rewards points and the 10x multiplier.
Keep in mind, whoever you refer will still have the option to apply for any available Amex cards, not just the Amex Platinum. That means if you have the 30,000-point referral offer in your account, you’ll still get this bonus if they’re approved for another Amex card when using your link.
However, Amex limits your referral bonus to 55,000 points per calendar year on a specific card so you won’t earn any more than that.
Between the 100,000-point bonus and 10x on dining worldwide and when you Shop Small within the U.S. — along with the 45,000-point referral — this Amex Platinum offer is a win-win for those who are targeted.
Official application link: The Platinum Card from American Express
Featured image by Wyatt Smith/The Points Guy
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 100,000 Points Terms Apply.
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $2,000
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: Delta Sky Club and Centurion lounge access, up to $200 annual airline fee credit and up to $200 in Uber Cash annually (only for use in the U.S.) (Enrollment required for select benefits)
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 100,000 Membership Rewards® Points after you spend $6,000 on purchases on the Card in your first 6 months of Card Membership.
- Plus, earn 10x points on eligible purchases on the Card at restaurants worldwide and when you Shop Small in the U.S., on up to $25,000 in combined purchases, during your first 6 months of Card Membership.
- Earn 5X Membership Rewards® Points for flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel up to $500,000 on these purchases per calendar year and earn 5X Membership Rewards® Points on prepaid hotels booked with American Express Travel.
- $200 Hotel Credit: Get $200 back in statement credits each year on prepaid Fine Hotels + Resorts® or The Hotel Collection bookings with American Express Travel when you pay with your Platinum Card®.
- $240 Digital Entertainment Credit: Get up to $20 in statement credits each month when you pay for eligible purchases with the Platinum Card® at your choice of one or more of the following providers: Peacock, Audible, SiriusXM, and The New York Times. Enrollment required.
- $155 Walmart+ Credit: Cover the cost of a $12.95 monthly Walmart+ membership with a statement credit after you pay for Walmart+ each month with your Platinum Card. Cost includes $12.95 plus applicable local sales tax.
- American Express has expanded The Centurion® Network to include 40+ Centurion Lounge and Studio locations worldwide. Now there are even more places your Platinum Card® can get you complimentary entry and exclusive perks.
- $200 Airline Fee Credit: Get up to $200 in statement credits per calendar year in baggage fees and more at one select qualifying airline.
- $200 Uber Cash: Enjoy Uber VIP status and up to $200 in Uber savings on rides or eats orders in the US annually. Uber Cash and Uber VIP status is available to Basic Card Member only.
- $300 Equinox Credit: Get up to $25 back each month on select Equinox memberships when you pay with your Platinum Card®. Enrollment required.
- $179 CLEAR® Credit: Use your Card and get up to $179 back per year on your CLEAR® membership.
- $695 annual fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees