Targeted: Earn 30,000 points by referring others to this Amex card — and they’ll get up to 250,000 points, too
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Editor’s note: This is a recurring post, regularly updated with new information.
One of the best ways to quickly earn points and miles is through credit card welcome offers and sign-up bonuses. However, even if you’re not in the market for a new card, you can help your friends and family out — and earn some rewards for yourself, to boot.
Want more credit card news and travel advice from TPG? Sign up for our daily newsletter.
Chase and American Express make it easy for you to refer friends or family members for select cards. And now, we’re seeing one of the most generous combinations of referral and welcome offers on a single card.
30,000 points for you
If you have the Amex Platinum Card, you may be eligible for 30,000 Membership Rewards points for each approved referral. Those points are worth $600, according to TPG valuations. While we saw this lucrative referral bonus from Amex earlier this year, it was only available on the American Express® Gold Card.
Up to 250,000 points for your friend
What makes this offer even more noteworthy is that whoever you refer can earn up to 250,000 points on the Amex Platinum. Here’s how that’s broken down.
First, the person who is referred will receive 100,000 Membership Rewards points after spending $5,000 in the first six months of card membership. Additionally, they’ll receive 10x points on up to $15,000 in combined purchases at U.S. gas stations and U.S. supermarkets during the same first six months of card membership. If you do the math, the earning potential — if fully maximized — is a whopping 250,000 points.
Combine that with your 30,000-point referral bonus and the windfall from this offer is 280,000 points between the referred and referrer.
Check to see if you’re eligible
To see if your Platinum card is eligible, log in to your account from Amex’s referral page to see if your card has an eligible referral offer. While I was not targeted for this referral bonus on my personal Platinum card, several TPG staffers received the 30,000-point offer along with the enhanced welcome bonus that you see above.
Sure enough, if you click through to eligible referral links, the referred individual will see this landing page for 100,000 Membership Rewards points and the 10x multiplier.
Keep in mind, whoever you refer will still have the option to apply for any available Amex credit cards, not just the Amex Platinum. That means if you have the 30,000-point referral offer in your account, you’ll still get this bonus if they’re approved for another Amex card when using your link.
However, Amex limits your referral bonus to 55,000 points per calendar year on a specific card so you won’t earn any more than that.
Featured image by The Points Guy
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 75,000 Points Terms Apply.
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,500
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: Delta Sky Club and Centurion lounge access, up to $200 annual airline fee credit and up to $200 in Uber savings annually (only for use in the U.S.)
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 75,000 Membership Rewards® Points after you spend $5,000 on purchases on your new Card in your first 6 months of Card Membership.
- Earn 10x points on eligible purchases on your new Card at U.S. Gas Stations and U.S. Supermarkets, on up to $15,000 in combined purchases, during your first 6 months of Card Membership. That’s an additional 9 points on top of the 1 point you earn for these purchases.
- Enjoy Uber VIP status and up to $200 in Uber savings on rides or eats orders in the US annually. Uber Cash and Uber VIP status is available to Basic Card Member and Additional Centurion Cards only.
- Earn 5X Membership Rewards® Points for flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel. Starting January 1, 2021, earn 5X points on up to $500,000 on these purchases per calendar year.
- 5X Membership Rewards® Points on prepaid hotels booked with American Express Travel.
- Enjoy complimentary access to the Global Lounge Collection, the only credit card airport lounge access program that includes proprietary lounge locations around the world.
- Receive complimentary benefits through American Express Travel with an average total value of $550 with Fine Hotels & Resorts® program at over 1,100 properties. Learn More.
- Get up to $100 in statement credits annually for purchases at Saks Fifth Avenue on your Platinum Card®. That’s up to $50 in statement credits semi-annually. Enrollment required.
- $550 annual fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees