Amex Platinum Card available with a 60k bonus
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Editor’s note: This is a recurring post, regularly updated with new information.
The Platinum Card® from American Express is one of the best premium travel rewards credit cards out there, thanks to a long list of benefits, a strong earning rate for flights and a solid welcome bonus.
For the latest credit card offers and deals, sign up for our free daily newsletter.
Currently, you can earn 60,000 Amex Membership Rewards points when you spend $5,000 in the first three months. You could redeem these points for one cent each toward flights booked through the Amex Travel portal. But, TPG’s valuations peg the value of Amex points at two cents each due to the Amex Membership Reward’s program’s selection of transfer partners — including Avianca, Hilton, Etihad and Singapore Airlines — and the variety of redemptions they offer. So, you can expect to get between $600 and $1,200 of value from this bonus, although you may be able to get even more when you transfer your points for select redemptions.
The Amex Platinum has a $550 annual fee (see rates and fees), which can lead to some sticker shock. But when you dive into its mile-long list of benefits, it’s easy to see how you can recoup that value:
- 5x points on flights booked directly with the airline or through Amex Travel
- 5x points on prepaid hotels booked through amextravel.com
- 1x point on everything else
- $200 annual airline fee credit
- Up to $15 in Uber credits each month, with a $20 bonus in December
- Up to $100 in credits at Saks each calendar year (up to $50 for January to June and up to $50 for July to December)
- Airline lounge access — including Centurion Lounge access, Priority Pass lounge access (excluding restaurant lounges) and Delta Sky Club access when you’re flying with Delta — through the American Express Global Lounge Collection
- Application fee credit for Global Entry every four years or for TSA PreCheck every 4.5 years
- Gold status with Hilton Honors and Marriott Bonvoy
- Elite-like benefits when you book a stay through Amex’s Fine Hotels & Resorts program or Amex’s Hotel Collection
- Platinum Card Concierge
- Access to the American Express International Airline Program
- Travel protections when you use your card, including trip delay insurance, trip cancellation and interruption insurance, car rental loss and damage insurance and baggage insurance
- Premium Global Assist hotline that may provide many services when you’re away from home including emergency medical transportation assistance
- Shopping protections when you use your card including extended warranty protection, purchase protection and return protection
- Multiple options for redeeming points, including transferring to hotel and airline partners, booking travel through Amex Travel and Pay With Points
- Complimentary additional Gold Cards, or you can add up to three Platinum Card authorized users for $175 per year (see rates and fees)
- No foreign transaction fees (see rates and fees)
While the Amex Platinum‘s current standard welcome offer is 60,000 points, it’s worth checking to see if you’re eligible for a 100,000-point bonus through the CardMatch tool. This higher offer is targeted and subject to change at any time, so your mileage may vary.
Official application link: The Platinum Card® from American Express with a 60,000-point bonus
- The Platinum Card from American Express review
- Choosing the best American Express credit card for you
- 10 things to do when you get the Amex Platinum
- Who should (and who shouldn’t) get the American Express Platinum?
- Is the Amex Platinum worth the annual fee?
- Maximizing benefits with the Amex Platinum Card
- Is the Amex Platinum once again the king of travel rewards cards?
- Why the Amex Platinum card is best for active-duty military
- Amex Platinum vs. Amex Business Platinum
- Amex Platinum vs. Amex Gold
- Battle of the premium travel rewards cards: Which is the best?
- Amex Platinum versus a volcano — reader success story
- The best travel credit cards
For rates and fees of the Amex Platinum Card, please click here.
Featured image by Wyatt Smith/The Points Guy.
- Earn up to 70,000 bonus miles. Earn 60,000 bonus miles after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Plus, earn an additional 10,000 bonus miles after your first anniversary of Card Membership. Offer Expires 4/1/2020.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free and Main Cabin 1 Priority Boarding on Delta flights.
- New! Get ready for your next trip - spend $10,000 in purchases on your card in a calendar year and receive a $100 Delta Flight Credit to get you there sooner.
- Earn 2X Miles on Delta purchases, at restaurants worldwide and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a 20% savings in the form of a statement credit after you use your Card on eligible Delta in-flight purchases of food, beverages, and audio headsets.
- Enjoy a $0 introductory annual fee for the first year, then $99.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees