American Express Membership Rewards Adds Qantas as Its 19th Airline Transfer Partner
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
American Express Membership Rewards points are already one of the most valuable transferable currencies in TPG valuations due to the wide range of valuable transfer partners. And now, MR points just got a little more valuable with the addition of a new 1:1 airline transfer partner: Qantas.
As discovered Friday morning by Dan’s Deals, the Oneworld airline was added to the list of transfer partners on the Membership Rewards website:
While Membership Rewards typically requires members to transfer points to partners in increments of 1,000 MR points, you can transfer points from Membership Rewards to Qantas in increments of 500 points. That can be especially helpful for when you need to top off your Qantas account for a redemption.
Even better, in TPG testing, the points are transferring immediately from Membership Rewards to Qantas.
This addition makes 22 transfer partners of American Express Membership Rewards — 19 airline programs and 3 hotel programs. TPG currently values Membership Rewards points at 2 cents apiece, but he doesn’t have a valuation of Qantas Points (yet).
This adds a fourth option for accumulating or topping off your Qantas account. Membership Rewards joins Citi ThankYou Points (1:1 ratio, 2-day transfer), Marriott Bonvoy (3:1 ratio, <48-hour transfer time) and Capital One (2:1.5 ratio, 24-hour transfer time).
How to Transfer Miles
As noted above, you can transfer Membership Rewards points to Qantas in increments of 500 points at a 1:1 rate. But first, you’ll need to link your Qantas account to Membership Rewards before you can transfer. I was able to instantly link my accounts.
For the test, I chose the minimum transfer of 500 points:
When I initiated the transfer, I received the following message:
We are processing your points transfer to Qantas Frequent Flyer. For Qantas, transfers normally occur immediately, but please allow up to 48 hours.
By the time that I logged out of my Qantas loyalty account and logged back in, the points had already posted — confirming that the transfer was indeed immediate:
How to Earn Membership Rewards Points
If you’re excited about this new transfer partner, there are currently some lucrative ways of earning Membership Rewards points:
- The Platinum Card® from American Express: Earn 100,000 Membership Rewards® Points after you spend $6,000 on purchases on the Card in your first 6 months of Card Membership. Plus, earn 10x points on eligible purchases on the Card at restaurants worldwide and when you Shop Small in the U.S., on up to $25,000 in combined purchases, during your first 6 months of Card Membership.
- American Express® Gold Card: 60,000 Membership Rewards points welcome bonus for spending $4,000 on purchases in the first six months of card membership. Plus earn 4x points at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets (on up to $25,000 per calendar year in purchases; then 1x) and 3x points on flights booked directly with airlines or on .
- The Business Platinum Card® from American Express: Earn 120,000 points after you spend $15,000 on eligible purchases within the first three months of card membership. Additionally, earn 5x points on flights and prepaid hotels on American Express Travel.
Featured photo by Ryan Patterson / The Points Guy
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 100,000 Points Terms Apply.
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $2,000
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: Delta Sky Club and Centurion lounge access, up to $200 annual airline fee credit and up to $200 in Uber Cash annually (only for use in the U.S.) (Enrollment required for select benefits)
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 100,000 Membership Rewards® Points after you spend $6,000 on purchases on the Card in your first 6 months of Card Membership.
- Plus, earn 10x points on eligible purchases on the Card at restaurants worldwide and when you Shop Small in the U.S., on up to $25,000 in combined purchases, during your first 6 months of Card Membership.
- Earn 5X Membership Rewards® Points for flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel up to $500,000 on these purchases per calendar year and earn 5X Membership Rewards® Points on prepaid hotels booked with American Express Travel.
- $200 Hotel Credit: Get $200 back in statement credits each year on prepaid Fine Hotels + Resorts® or The Hotel Collection bookings with American Express Travel when you pay with your Platinum Card®.
- $240 Digital Entertainment Credit: Get up to $20 in statement credits each month when you pay for eligible purchases with the Platinum Card® at your choice of one or more of the following providers: Peacock, Audible, SiriusXM, and The New York Times. Enrollment required.
- $155 Walmart+ Credit: Cover the cost of a $12.95 monthly Walmart+ membership with a statement credit after you pay for Walmart+ each month with your Platinum Card. Cost includes $12.95 plus applicable local sales tax.
- American Express has expanded The Centurion® Network to include 40+ Centurion Lounge and Studio locations worldwide. Now there are even more places your Platinum Card® can get you complimentary entry and exclusive perks.
- $200 Airline Fee Credit: Get up to $200 in statement credits per calendar year in baggage fees and more at one select qualifying airline.
- $200 Uber Cash: Enjoy Uber VIP status and up to $200 in Uber savings on rides or eats orders in the US annually. Uber Cash and Uber VIP status is available to Basic Card Member only.
- $300 Equinox Credit: Get up to $25 back each month on select Equinox memberships when you pay with your Platinum Card®. Enrollment required.
- $179 CLEAR® Credit: Use your Card and get up to $179 back per year on your CLEAR® membership.
- $695 annual fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees