Inside Amex’s Hidden Centurion Speakeasy at the US Open
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Following a very successful launch in 2018, American Express brought its popular Centurion Suite back to this year’s US Open in New York City, accessible to customers with The Centurion Card, in addition to The Platinum Card® from American Express or The Business Platinum Card® from American Express.
This time around, the issuer has a surprise for guests, however — a pop-up “speakeasy,” giving visitors a taste of a similar space planned for the company’s upcoming location at New York-JFK.
TPG’s Zach Griff and I swung by to check out the Centurion Suite this week.
Most of the lounge area is identical to Amex’s 2018 offering, with a large bar, tables and other dining areas.
A second room offers additional seating — a must given that the lounge can accommodate up to 120 guests.
The Centurion Suite is open from 12pm until 8pm through September 4, though guests tend to line up before the official opening time, given that only 120 visitors are allowed in the lounge at one time. Once the space is at capacity, customers can join a waitlist, and are welcomed back once there’s enough space. Cardmembers with The Platinum Card® from American Express or The Business Platinum Card® from American Express can enter for up to two hours once each day, while customers with The Centurion Card get unlimited entry.
As with last year, the space can feel pretty crowded, even with occupancy capped at 120.
All guests get a ticket for one free drink, which can be used for anything at the bar, including the US Open’s official cocktail, the Honey Deuce.
The speakeasy is easily this year’s highlight, though — guests can get access by pulling a book on the shelf near the lounge’s main entrance.
A staffer then slides open the door, revealing a cozy room, filled with tennis-themed artwork and memorabilia.
It’s definitely a fun space — while the JFK version won’t be tennis-themed, of course, it should have a similar feel.
The bartender will whip you up The Centurionside, a gin-based cocktail designed by Please Don’t Tell’s Jim Meehan, who will also be heading up the beverage program at the JFK lounge.
Amex’s usual Centurion Lounge access restrictions apply here, but you don’t need The Platinum Card® from American Express or The Business Platinum Card® from American Express to get special perks at the Open.
In addition to getting access to the American Express Card Member Lounge, available to all cardmembers, customers with most personal and business cards issued in the US, Australia, Canada, France, Italy, Japan, Mexico, New Zealand and the United Kingdom are eligible for a one-time $20 statement credit after spending $100 at US Open merchants, including restaurants, bars and more, giving you an extra incentive to use your Amex card throughout the venue as well.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants in the first three months of card membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 Bonus Miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees