New, public welcome offer for 100,000 points on the Amex Gold card
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Update, June 16: This offer is no longer available. Please click here to view details on the current offer.
How would you like an all-time best offer worth $2,000 on one of our favorite cards here at TPG? If that sounds good to you, you’ll be happy to know that American Express currently has a public link for the American Express® Gold Card that awards new applicants 100,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 in purchases on your card in your first six months of card membership.
Let’s take a look at the welcome offer, ongoing perks of the card and whether now is a good time to apply.
For more TPG news delivered each morning to your inbox, sign up for our daily newsletter.
American Express® Gold Card public welcome offer
As noted above, you can currently apply for the American Express® Gold Card at this link, and you’ll earn 100,000 Membership Rewards points when you spend $4,000 on the card within the first six months. The card has a $250 annual fee (see rates and fees).
This is a public welcome offer, available here and not through TPG.
TPG values Membership Rewards points at 2 cents apiece. Thus, 100,000 points are worth $2,000.
Why we love the Amex Gold card
The Amex Gold card is one of the best credit cards for dining and grocery purchases, but it also offers ongoing monthly perks that can easily justify the card’s annual fee.
Cardmembers get up to $10 a month (up to $120 a year) in dining credits at participating locations such as Grubhub, The Cheesecake Factory, Goldbelly, Wine.com, Milk Bar, and select Shake Shack locations. Enrollment is required.
Additionally, you’ll receive up to $120 annually ($10 per month) in Uber Cash, which can be used on Uber Eats orders or Uber rides in the U.S. Just make sure to add your Gold Card to your Uber account first. Enrollment is required for select benefits.
The bonus categories are also impressive, as you’ll earn:
- 4 points per dollar spent at restaurants worldwide — plus take out and delivery in the U.S.
- 4 points per dollar at U.S. supermarkets (on up to $25,000 in spending per calendar year; then 1 point).
- 3 points per dollar on flights booked directly with the airline or with American Express Travel.
- 1 point per dollar everywhere else.
You also earn double points and receive a property credit of up to $100 when you book a prepaid hotel stay of two nights or longer through The Hotel Collection with Amex Travel.
The Amex Gold card ranks among the cards TPG staffers can’t live without. That’s due to the ongoing credits that largely offset the annual fee and the strong earning categories that nicely complement other American Express cards.
With this best-ever welcome offer available to the public, now could be a great time to add the Amex Gold card to your wallet.
Remember to check our guide to credit card application rules to understand if you’re eligible to apply.
For rates and fees of the Amex Gold card, click here.
Featured photo by Wyatt Smith/The Points Guy.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Receive 1 Free Night Award every year after your Card account anniversary. Plus, earn an additional Free Night Award after you spend $60K in purchases on your Card in a calendar year. Awards can be used for one night (redemption level at or under 35,000 Marriott Bonvoy points) at hotels participating in the Marriott Bonvoy program.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 125,000 Marriott Bonvoy Bonus Points after spending $5,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months of Card Membership. Offer expires 8/31/22.
- 6x points at hotels participating in the Marriott Bonvoy™ program.
- 4x points for purchases made at restaurants worldwide, at U.S. gas stations, on wireless telephone services purchased directly from U.S. service providers and on U.S. purchases for shipping.
- 2x points on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a 7% discount off standard rates for reservations of standard guest rooms at hotels that participate in the Marriott Bonvoy program when you book directly. Terms and Conditions Apply.
- Receive 1 Free Night Award every year after your Card renewal month. Plus, earn an additional Free Night Award after you spend $60K in purchases on your Card in a calendar year. Awards can be used for one night (redemption level at or under 35,000 Marriott Bonvoy points) at a participating hotel. Certain hotels have resort fees.
- Enjoy Complimentary Marriott Bonvoy Gold Elite Status with your Card.
- Terms apply.
- See Rates & Fees