Amex introduces international credit checking for applicants from some countries
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
American Express just announced that it will be the first U.S. card issuer to join forces with the cross-border credit reporting startup, Nova Credit. This partnership is good news for people newly arrived in the U.S., as it will allow them to have an accessible credit score, opening the door to more financial opportunities.
The partnership with Amex means that residents from Australia, Canada, India, Mexico and the United Kingdom will be able to share their credit reports from select international bureaus with Amex directly during the application process. This will allow applicants to “potentially get approved instantly,” American Express said in a statement.
What’s great about this partnership in particular is that prior to it, foreign residents were often restricted to applying for less lucrative credit card options in order to start building credit. That process alone could take up to five years before any more lucrative opportunities became available, but this partnership changes that. Now foreign nationals building a life in the U.S. can up their points and miles game as well.
American Express said that the technology will translate the international credit reports into a U.S. equivalent report, although it did not say what factors or ratio will be used to turn those international reports into a U..S-unique FICO score. More countries will be included in the future as well, Amex said.
Featured image by Summer Hull/The Points Guy.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Receive 1 Free Night Award every year after your Card account anniversary. Plus, earn an additional Free Night Award after you spend $60K in purchases on your Card in a calendar year. Awards can be used for one night (redemption level at or under 35,000 Marriott Bonvoy points) at hotels participating in the Marriott Bonvoy program.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 125,000 Marriott Bonvoy Bonus Points after spending $5,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months of Card Membership. Offer expires 8/31/22.
- 6x points at hotels participating in the Marriott Bonvoy™ program.
- 4x points for purchases made at restaurants worldwide, at U.S. gas stations, on wireless telephone services purchased directly from U.S. service providers and on U.S. purchases for shipping.
- 2x points on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a 7% discount off standard rates for reservations of standard guest rooms at hotels that participate in the Marriott Bonvoy program when you book directly. Terms and Conditions Apply.
- Receive 1 Free Night Award every year after your Card renewal month. Plus, earn an additional Free Night Award after you spend $60K in purchases on your Card in a calendar year. Awards can be used for one night (redemption level at or under 35,000 Marriott Bonvoy points) at a participating hotel. Certain hotels have resort fees.
- Enjoy Complimentary Marriott Bonvoy Gold Elite Status with your Card.
- Terms apply.
- See Rates & Fees