Amex introduces international credit checking for applicants from some countries
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
American Express just announced that it will be the first U.S. card issuer to join forces with the cross-border credit reporting startup, Nova Credit. This partnership is good news for people newly arrived in the U.S., as it will allow them to have an accessible credit score, opening the door to more financial opportunities.
The partnership with Amex means that residents from Australia, Canada, India, Mexico and the United Kingdom will be able to share their credit reports from select international bureaus with Amex directly during the application process. This will allow applicants to “potentially get approved instantly,” American Express said in a statement.
What’s great about this partnership in particular is that prior to it, foreign residents were often restricted to applying for less lucrative credit card options in order to start building credit. That process alone could take up to five years before any more lucrative opportunities became available, but this partnership changes that. Now foreign nationals building a life in the U.S. can up their points and miles game as well.
American Express said that the technology will translate the international credit reports into a U.S. equivalent report, although it did not say what factors or ratio will be used to turn those international reports into a U..S-unique FICO score. More countries will be included in the future as well, Amex said.
Featured image by Summer Hull/The Points Guy.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees