Amex introduces international credit checking for applicants from some countries
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
American Express just announced that it will be the first U.S. card issuer to join forces with the cross-border credit reporting startup, Nova Credit. This partnership is good news for people newly arrived in the U.S., as it will allow them to have an accessible credit score, opening the door to more financial opportunities.
The partnership with Amex means that residents from Australia, Canada, India, Mexico and the United Kingdom will be able to share their credit reports from select international bureaus with Amex directly during the application process. This will allow applicants to “potentially get approved instantly,” American Express said in a statement.
What’s great about this partnership in particular is that prior to it, foreign residents were often restricted to applying for less lucrative credit card options in order to start building credit. That process alone could take up to five years before any more lucrative opportunities became available, but this partnership changes that. Now foreign nationals building a life in the U.S. can up their points and miles game as well.
American Express said that the technology will translate the international credit reports into a U.S. equivalent report, although it did not say what factors or ratio will be used to turn those international reports into a U..S-unique FICO score. More countries will be included in the future as well, Amex said.
Featured image by Summer Hull/The Points Guy.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,600
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide, eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on orders over $12 for a minimum of one year on qualifying food purchases with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Earn 5X points on Lyft rides through March 2022. That’s 3X points in addition to the 2X points you already earn on travel.