This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
American Express has an especially popular product — normally that’s not a bad problem to have. Trouble is, airports have finite space, leading to less square footage within the issuer’s Centurion Lounges than many of us would like to have — Amex included.
Some lounges have gotten creative in an attempt to manage passenger flow — and expectations — including the San Francisco (SFO) location, which often restricts access to customers with flights departing within three hours.
As of March 22, 2019, that change will become an official policy across the board:
“The Centurion Lounge will welcome Platinum Card Members who arrive within 3 hours or less prior to their original scheduled departure time or can provide proof of a connecting flight. Card Members who arrive at the Centurion Lounge as their final destination will no longer be permitted entry.”
Additionally, Amex is changing the guest policy. Currently, Platinum cardmembers can bring “up to two guests or immediate family (spouse or domestic partner, and children under 18) at no additional charge.” As of March 22, Amex is tweaking that immediate family allowance:
“Children under 2 years of age will be admitted free of charge and will not count towards Platinum Card Member’s 2 complimentary guest count, so long as they are accompanied by a parent or guardian who is able to produce a “lap infant” boarding pass or proof of age.”
The new policies will apply to all Centurion Lounges, including locations in Dallas (DFW), Houston (IAH), Las Vegas (LAS), Miami (MIA), New York (LGA), Philadelphia (PHL), San Francisco (SFO) and Seattle (SEA). They’ll likely also affect planned lounges in Charlotte (CLT), Denver (DEN), Los Angeles (LAX), and New York John F. Kennedy Airport (JFK), once those open over the next few months and years.
For more TPG news delivered each morning to your inbox, sign up for our daily newsletter here: https://thepointsguy.com/mailing-list/
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.
NEW INCREASED OFFER: 60,000 points! With great travel benefits, 2x points on travel & dining and a 60,000 point sign up bonus worth up to $1,200 in value, the Chase Sapphire Preferred is a great card for those looking to get into the points and miles game. Here are the top 5 reasons it should be in your wallet, or read our definitive review for more details.
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- Chase Sapphire Preferred named "Best Credit Card for Flexible Travel Redemption" - Kiplinger's Personal Finance, June 2018
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- No foreign transaction fees
- 1:1 point transfer to leading airline and hotel loyalty programs
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel
- No blackout dates or travel restrictions - as long as there's a seat on the flight, you can book it through Chase Ultimate Rewards