No More Access to Centurion Lounges at Final Destination for Amex Platinum Cardholders
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
American Express has an especially popular product — normally that’s not a bad problem to have. Trouble is, airports have finite space, leading to less square footage within the issuer’s Centurion Lounges than many of us would like to have — Amex included.
Some lounges have gotten creative in an attempt to manage passenger flow — and expectations — including the San Francisco (SFO) location, which often restricts access to customers with flights departing within three hours.
As of March 22, 2019, that change will become an official policy across the board:
“The Centurion Lounge will welcome Platinum Card Members who arrive within 3 hours or less prior to their original scheduled departure time or can provide proof of a connecting flight. Card Members who arrive at the Centurion Lounge as their final destination will no longer be permitted entry.”
Additionally, Amex is changing the guest policy. Currently, Platinum cardmembers can bring “up to two guests or immediate family (spouse or domestic partner, and children under 18) at no additional charge.” As of March 22, Amex is tweaking that immediate family allowance:
“Children under 2 years of age will be admitted free of charge and will not count towards Platinum Card Member’s 2 complimentary guest count, so long as they are accompanied by a parent or guardian who is able to produce a “lap infant” boarding pass or proof of age.”
The new policies will apply to all Centurion Lounges, including locations in Dallas (DFW), Houston (IAH), Las Vegas (LAS), Miami (MIA), New York (LGA), Philadelphia (PHL), San Francisco (SFO) and Seattle (SEA). They’ll likely also affect planned lounges in Charlotte (CLT), Denver (DEN), Los Angeles (LAX), and New York John F. Kennedy Airport (JFK), once those open over the next few months and years.
For more TPG news delivered each morning to your inbox, sign up for our daily newsletter here: https://thepointsguy.com/mailing-list/
WELCOME OFFER: 30,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $600
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: up to $100 annual CLEAR statement credit, up to $100 annual LoungeBuddy statement credit, 3x points on travel and transit, 3x points on restaurants worldwide
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 30,000 Membership Rewards® points after you spend $2,000 on purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Earn 3X Membership Rewards® points on all eligible travel, from subway swipes and window seats to hotel stays and city tours.
- Earn 3X Membership Rewards® points at restaurants worldwide.
- Receive up to $100 per year in statement credits when you use the American Express® Green Card to pay for your CLEAR® membership at select airports and stadiums across the U.S. and Permissible Biometric Scanning Technology terms: eye scanning, irises scanning and fingerprints scanning.
- Use the American Express® Green Card to purchase lounge access through LoungeBuddy to any of the lounges in the LoungeBuddy network – no memberships, elite statuses, or first class tickets required. Earn up to $100 in statement credits per calendar year on your LoungeBuddy purchases.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $150 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees