This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
In a move designed to spur economic growth and boost tourism in the southern province, the Chinese State Immigration Authority announced on April 25 that passport holders from the US, the United Kingdom, Canada and dozens of other European and Asian countries will be able to enter the “Hawaii of China” for up to 30 days, beginning May 1.
The decision expands a policy enacted in 2000, which allowed tour groups from 21 designated countries to visit Hainan for up to two weeks without a visa. The terms of Wednesday’s announcement allow individual travelers to enter Hainan on their own, as well as allows travelers to extend the duration of their stay.
China’s airlines, including Hainan’s flagship carrier Hainan Airlines, stand to benefit the most from the decision. Chong Tai-Leung, an associate professor of economics at the Chinese University of Hong Kong, told the South China Morning Post that the policy change should sharply increase the number of international tourists traveling to Hainan.
Although Hainan has long been promoted as “China’s Hawaii,” the province historically has been considered a “backwater afterthought”, according to the South China Morning Post. The tropical island lies north of the South China Sea, bordered by Vietnam to the west and the Philippines to the east. Out of the more than 60 million visitors to Hainan in 2017, only 1 million (just 1.6%) were international tourists — the rest were Chinese nationals. In contrast, Bali, which is one-sixth the size of Hainan, hosted more than 5 million foreigners in 2017.
Featured photo by Getty Images.
LIMITED TIME OFFER. Aside from the 100,000 points welcome bonus (available until 8/8/18), Amex recently made huge improvements to the Business Platinum Card, including the fact that you will now earn 50% more points on purchases of $5,000 or more, earn 5x on flights and eligible hotels at Amextravel.com and cardholders will receive a $200 airline fee credit each year.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn up to 100,000 Membership Rewards® Points.
- Earn 50,000 Membership Rewards® points after you spend $10,000 & an extra 50,000 points after you spend an additional $15,000 all on qualifying purchases within your first 3 months of Card Membership. Offer ends 8/8/18.†
- Get 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights and prepaid hotels on amextravel.com.
- Get 50% more Membership Rewards® points. That's 1.5 points per dollar, on each eligible purchase of $5,000 or more. You can get up to 1 million additional points per year.
- 35% Airline Bonus: Use Membership Rewards® Pay with Points for all or part of a flight with your selected qualifying airline, and you can get 35% of the points back, up to 500,000 bonus points per calendar year.
- You can also receive 35% points back on all First and Business class flights, with all airlines available through American Express Travel.
- You can enjoy access to The American Express Global Lounge Collection℠ offering access to the most lounges across the globe, when compared with other U.S. credit card offerings. As of 11/2017
- Terms Apply
- See Rates & Fees