Americans Can Now Visit “China’s Hawaii” Without a Visa
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
In a move designed to spur economic growth and boost tourism in the southern province, the Chinese State Immigration Authority announced on April 25 that passport holders from the US, the United Kingdom, Canada and dozens of other European and Asian countries will be able to enter the “Hawaii of China” for up to 30 days, beginning May 1.
The decision expands a policy enacted in 2000, which allowed tour groups from 21 designated countries to visit Hainan for up to two weeks without a visa. The terms of Wednesday’s announcement allow individual travelers to enter Hainan on their own, as well as allows travelers to extend the duration of their stay.
China’s airlines, including Hainan’s flagship carrier Hainan Airlines, stand to benefit the most from the decision. Chong Tai-Leung, an associate professor of economics at the Chinese University of Hong Kong, told the South China Morning Post that the policy change should sharply increase the number of international tourists traveling to Hainan.
Although Hainan has long been promoted as “China’s Hawaii,” the province historically has been considered a “backwater afterthought”, according to the South China Morning Post. The tropical island lies north of the South China Sea, bordered by Vietnam to the west and the Philippines to the east. Out of the more than 60 million visitors to Hainan in 2017, only 1 million (just 1.6%) were international tourists — the rest were Chinese nationals. In contrast, Bali, which is one-sixth the size of Hainan, hosted more than 5 million foreigners in 2017.
Featured photo by Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants in the first three months of card membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 Bonus Miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees