American to fly 777s between New York and Los Angeles, widebodies between several other cities
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
American Airlines will run several widebodies on domestic routes connecting major hubs, including New York (JFK) and Los Angeles (LAX), and Los Angeles and San Francisco (SFO) to Chicago (ORD). The routes were first reported by potus18 on FlyerTalk.
As potus18 found, the New York to Los Angeles flight will operate on a Boeing 777 from April 7 through April 24, while the San Francisco to Chicago flight will operate on a Boeing 787-8 between March 28 and April 24. Finally, Los Angeles to Chicago will fly on a 787-9 between March 29-June 3, the longest period.
But that’s not all. As TPG’s Benji Stawski discovered, American is selling some of the flights as a two cabin flight on the LAX-JFK route. He discovered that first class is priced like business class and has a business fare code but still lists first-class perks like 3 free checked bags. You are also able to book American’s premium economy as Main Cabin Extra, he discovered.
As you can see, $708 one-way is a steal for a ticket technically showing up as Flagship First. It’s unclear if you’ll be able to access to Flagship First Dining, a sit-down, restaurant-style dining experience available only to those passengers traveling in first class on a three-cabin international or premium transcontinental flight.
If you plan to fly between Los Angeles and Chicago this spring, you’ll be able to fly American’s 787-9 business class. It consists of one large cabin arranged in eight rows of reverse-herringbone 1-2-1 seating, as we reported in 2018. If you’re on a San Francisco to Chicago flight will on the Boeing 787-8, a two-cabin aircraft 28 business class seats. Business class features both forward-facing and backward-facing seats in a 1-2-1 configuration. All 28 seats are lie-flat and have direct aisle access. There’s a larger forward cabin of five rows and a mini-cabin of two rows behind the main business-class galley and bathrooms.
Featured image courtesy of Nicolas Economou/NurPhoto via Getty Images
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees