American introduces new food-for-purchase menu
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Next time you fly in the main cabin on American Airlines, you’ll likely see a new menu in your seatback pocket.
Starting Saturday, American will begin offering updated food options that can be purchased on flights within the U.S., Central America, Canada and the Caribbean that are longer than 1,100 miles, or approximately three hours.
The new dishes cost between $8 and $11, and include a chicken lentil salad shaker jar, a raspberry chipotle turkey sandwich, an egg salad breakfast sandwich and a yogurt and berry box.
The menu was created in collaboration with Zoës Kitchen, American’s inflight catering partner since 2018.
As part of its advertising campaign for the food update, American tried its hand at the “tiny kitchen” social media trend, making a version of the chicken lentil salad in miniature.
In a statement, Leah Rubertino, a spokeswoman for the airline, said that flight attendants were directly involved in creating the new menu.
“They joined the food & beverage team to look at all new items to provide perspective on what customers like to purchase and enjoy eating,” she said.
The new dishes are already available for pre-reservation, and all passengers can reserve meals starting 30 days before their scheduled departure.
Featured photo by kajakiki/Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases within the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn a $200 statement credit after your first Delta purchase within the first three months. Offer ends 7/28/21.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles after spending $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months and a $200 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Limited Time Offer: Plus, get a 0% intro APR on purchases for 12 months from the date of account opening, then a variable 15.74%-24.74%. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees