American Express Now Allows You to Temporarily Freeze Your Card
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
In an email sent out to American Express cardholders this morning, the issuer has announced a series of customer friendly improvements including the option to freeze your card.
This new tool will come in handy if you’ve temporarily misplaced your card — maybe you left if behind at a restaurant or are positive it’s in your apartment, but you just can’t seem to find it. Now you can freeze your card until you find it instead of calling the bank, canceling your card and waiting a few days for a new one to come in the mail.
If you believe there’s been fraudulent activity on your account you should still notify Amex immediately.
You won’t be totally debilitated when you freeze a card — Amex says that your card will be prevented from being used for new purchases but will still work for recurring bills. Additionally, you’ll be able to use your card for digital wallet transactions and some online purchases where your card is already on file.
Card freezes take effect immediately and can be removed with the click of a button. Note that seven days after freezing your card, it will automatically be unfrozen. You can check here to see the “Freeze Card” page.
Bank of America, Capital One, Citi and Discover all have a similar tools that let you temporarily freeze your account.
Amex also announced improvements to the account activity page, the ability to enroll in real-time alerts and a streamlined help center.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 100,000 Points Terms Apply.
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $2,000
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: Delta Sky Club and Centurion lounge access, up to $200 annual airline fee credit and up to $200 in Uber Cash annually (only for use in the U.S.) (Enrollment required for select benefits)
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 100,000 Membership Rewards® Points after you spend $6,000 on purchases on the Card in your first 6 months of Card Membership.
- Plus, earn 10x points on eligible purchases on the Card at restaurants worldwide and when you Shop Small in the U.S., on up to $25,000 in combined purchases, during your first 6 months of Card Membership.
- Earn 5X Membership Rewards® Points for flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel up to $500,000 on these purchases per calendar year.
- Earn 5X Membership Rewards® Points on prepaid hotels booked with American Express Travel.
- $200 Hotel Credit: Get $200 back in statement credits each year on prepaid Fine Hotels + Resorts® or The Hotel Collection bookings with American Express Travel when you pay with your Platinum Card®.
- $240 Digital Entertainment Credit: Get up to $20 in statement credits each month when you pay for eligible purchases with the Platinum Card® at your choice of one or more of the following providers: Peacock, Audible, SiriusXM, and The New York Times. Enrollment required.
- New! American Express has expanded The Centurion® Network to include 40+ Centurion Lounge and Studio locations worldwide. Now there are even more places your Platinum Card® can get you complimentary entry and exclusive perks.
- $200 Airline Fee Credit: Get up to $200 in statement credits per calendar year in baggage fees and more at one qualifying airline.
- $200 Uber Cash: Enjoy Uber VIP status and up to $200 in Uber savings on rides or eats orders in the US annually. Uber Cash and Uber VIP status available to Basic Card Member only.
- $300 Equinox Credit: Get up to $25 back each month on select Equinox memberships. Enrollment required.
- $179 CLEAR® Credit: Use your Card and get up to $179 back per year on your CLEAR® membership.
- $695 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees