This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
This new tool will come in handy if you’ve temporarily misplaced your card — maybe you left if behind at a restaurant or are positive it’s in your apartment, but you just can’t seem to find it. Now you can freeze your card until you find it instead of calling the bank, canceling your card and waiting a few days for a new one to come in the mail.
If you believe there’s been fraudulent activity on your account you should still notify Amex immediately.
You won’t be totally debilitated when you freeze a card — Amex says that your card will be prevented from being used for new purchases but will still work for recurring bills. Additionally, you’ll be able to use your card for digital wallet transactions and some online purchases where your card is already on file.
Card freezes take effect immediately and can be removed with the click of a button. Note that seven days after freezing your card, it will automatically be unfrozen. You can check here to see the “Freeze Card” page.
Bank of America, Capital One, Citi and Discover all have a similar tools that let you temporarily freeze your account.
Amex also announced improvements to the account activity page, the ability to enroll in real-time alerts and a streamlined help center.
The American Express Platinum card has some of the best perks out there: cardholders enjoy the best domestic lounge access (Delta SkyClubs, Centurion Lounges, and Priority Pass), a $200 annual airline fee credit as well as up to $200 in Uber credits, and mid-tier elite status at SPG, Marriott, and Hilton. Combined with the 60,000 point welcome offer -- worth $1,140 based on TPG's valuations -- this card is a no-brainer for frequent travelers. Here are 5 reasons you should consider this card, as well as how you can figure out if the $550 annual fee makes sense for you.
- Earn 60,000 Membership Rewards® points after you use your new Card to make $5,000 in purchases in your first 3 months.
- Enjoy Uber VIP status and free rides in the U.S. up to $15 each month, plus a bonus $20 in December. That can be up to $200 in annual Uber savings.
- 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel.
- 5X Membership Rewards points on prepaid hotels booked on amextravel.com.
- Enjoy access to the Global Lounge Collection, the only credit card airport lounge access program that includes proprietary lounge locations around the world.
- Receive complimentary benefits with an average total value of $550 with Fine Hotels & Resorts. Learn More.
- $200 Airline Fee Credit, up to $200 per calendar year in baggage fees and more at one qualifying airline.
- Get up to $100 in statement credits annually for purchases at Saks Fifth Avenue on your Platinum Card®. Enrollment required.
- $550 annual fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees