American revamps Business Extra program with new awards, strict account requirements
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Did you know that American Airlines doesn’t just offer a loyalty program for individual travelers?
In addition to its AAdvantage program, the Fort Worth-based carrier also runs a loyalty program for small- and medium-size businesses, dubbed Business Extra. (If your business isn’t yet a member of Business Extra, you can read all the details in our handy guide.)
On Tuesday, the airline unveiled some noteworthy changes to the Business Extra program, including new redemption options and stricter account requirements, through a program email sent to members.
For more TPG news delivered each morning to your inbox, subscribe to our daily newsletter.
Perhaps the most exciting is that you can now convert your Business Extra points into AAdvantage miles. Effective immediately, you can send between 100 and 100,000 Business Extra points to your AAdvantage account. The transfer ratio is 6:1, and the miles will be posted immediately.
Whether this is a good deal depends on how you redeem your Business Extra points. TPG’s go-to award is the BXP1 — a one-way, one-segment domestic upgrade — that costs 650 Business Extra points, which would now equate to 3,900 AAdvantage miles. If you can find upgrade availability, redeeming for BXP1s continues to be a great deal. (A domestic upgrade using AAdvantage miles for a discounted coach ticket would put you out 15,000 miles and $75.)
Of course, if you redeem for other awards, like a one-way domestic coach ticket, it could make sense to convert your Business Extra points into AAdvantage miles. That award costs 2,000 Business Extra points, which now convert into 12,000 AAdvantage miles. American often offers domestic AAdvantage rewards for lower than 12,000 miles, making for a lucrative transfer in this situation.
And if you have fewer than 650 Business Extra points with no plans to grow your account balance, then cashing them out for AAdvantage miles makes the most sense. You’ll want to crunch the numbers before you convert since the process is final.
In addition to the new conversion offer, you can now redeem 6,600 Business Extra points for a year of American’s mid-tier Platinum status. Previously, the airline only offered the ability to redeem for entry-level Gold status.
Finally, the airline is offering a new carbon emissions offset reward. You can use 300 Business Extra points for one carbon emissions tonnage offset through Cool Effect.
While the airline is adding redemption options, it’s also clamping down on who can access the program.
Beginning on Jan. 1, 2023, current members will be required to have three unique travelers and maintain $5,000 in qualifying Business Extra flight activity during the previous 12-month period to redeem points. This new policy will go into effect immediately for new members who join the program on Oct. 4, 2021, or later.
As for what’s next, American writes that “we’re continuing to evaluate the Business Extra program to provide members with more options, value and flexibility for their business travel.”
Sole proprietors and other small businesses with minimal spending in the Business Extra program will want to redeem their points and cash out soon.
Featured photo by Zach Griff/The Points Guy.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees