American Airlines Wants to Try Again on Ecuador Flights From DFW
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
American Airlines wants to make a second go at serving Ecuador from its Dallas/Fort Worth hub.
The Oneworld Alliance carrier is seeking authority to begin flights to Guayaquil (GYE) and Quito (UIO) in Ecuador from Dallas/Fort Worth (DFW) beginning in December, according to an application with the US Department of Transportation. If approved, American would operate thrice-weekly service to Guayaquil and four-times weekly service to Quito with Boeing 737-800 aircraft.
This is not American’s first attempt at serving Ecuador from Dallas/Fort Worth. Quito flights were offered from 2015 through August 2018, according to Diio by Cirium schedules.
“We’re always evaluating our network, looking at supply and demand,” says airline spokeswoman Nichelle Tait on the proposed routes. She adds that changes in the political and economic environment in Ecuador also impact the airline’s network decisions.
Peter Cerda, IATA regional vice-president for the Americas, told FlightGlobal in 2018 that the then-new administration of Ecuador President Lenin Moreno was focused on opening the country to more foreign businesses.
“They now have a more business-friendly agenda. Ecuador was a sleeping market the last few years,” said Cerda.
In addition Ecuador’s economic opening, American has grown its Dallas/Fort Worth hub to more than 900 departures on peak days. This creates more connecting opportunities for the proposed flights to Guayaquil and Quito, says Tait.
The carrier plans to grow system capacity by roughly 2.5% year-over-year in 2019, with the majority of that concentrated at Dallas/Fort Worth.
American serves both Guayaquil and Quito from Miami, Diio schedules show. No other airlines serve the cities from Dallas.
Featured image by Scott Olson/Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,600
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide, eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on orders over $12 for a minimum of one year on qualifying food purchases with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Earn 5X points on Lyft rides through March 2022. That’s 3X points in addition to the 2X points you already earn on travel.