American Airlines Wants to Try Again on Ecuador Flights From DFW
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
American Airlines wants to make a second go at serving Ecuador from its Dallas/Fort Worth hub.
The Oneworld Alliance carrier is seeking authority to begin flights to Guayaquil (GYE) and Quito (UIO) in Ecuador from Dallas/Fort Worth (DFW) beginning in December, according to an application with the US Department of Transportation. If approved, American would operate thrice-weekly service to Guayaquil and four-times weekly service to Quito with Boeing 737-800 aircraft.
This is not American’s first attempt at serving Ecuador from Dallas/Fort Worth. Quito flights were offered from 2015 through August 2018, according to Diio by Cirium schedules.
“We’re always evaluating our network, looking at supply and demand,” says airline spokeswoman Nichelle Tait on the proposed routes. She adds that changes in the political and economic environment in Ecuador also impact the airline’s network decisions.
Peter Cerda, IATA regional vice-president for the Americas, told FlightGlobal in 2018 that the then-new administration of Ecuador President Lenin Moreno was focused on opening the country to more foreign businesses.
“They now have a more business-friendly agenda. Ecuador was a sleeping market the last few years,” said Cerda.
In addition Ecuador’s economic opening, American has grown its Dallas/Fort Worth hub to more than 900 departures on peak days. This creates more connecting opportunities for the proposed flights to Guayaquil and Quito, says Tait.
The carrier plans to grow system capacity by roughly 2.5% year-over-year in 2019, with the majority of that concentrated at Dallas/Fort Worth.
American serves both Guayaquil and Quito from Miami, Diio schedules show. No other airlines serve the cities from Dallas.
Featured image by Scott Olson/Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases within the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn a $200 statement credit after your first Delta purchase within the first three months. Offer ends 7/28/21.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles after spending $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months and a $200 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Limited Time Offer: Plus, get a 0% intro APR on purchases for 12 months from the date of account opening, then a variable 15.74%-24.74%. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees