This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
You know the fear while waiting for your bag to arrive at baggage claim—everyone’s grabbing their bags, except you, and you’re left convinced yours ended up on a different path across the world. For one passenger flying American Airlines on Sunday, something possibly worse happened: She found her bag mangled, with shredded clothes, covered in black grease and toothpaste. It happened at the Dallas-Fort Worth International Airport’s baggage claim, according to reports by ABC Dallas affiliate WFAA.
American Airlines, the carrier passenger Kristen Horabin had flown, offered no explanation. Horabin said she received her suitcase ripped and tossed in a plastic bin with stained and destroyed clothes, a broken hair dryer, mismatched shoes, and half her belongings missing. Horabin filed a claim after posting on Facebook about the incident, and within 24 hours, AA offered an apology and said it will be sending her a $3,500 check for damages and a $300 travel voucher.
One of our readers had a similar experience when he picked up his torn-up travel golf bag with dented and snapped clubs after flying United to San Diego. Thanks to the Chase Sapphire Reserve card he had used to buy the ticket, he was reimbursed $1,125. Several premium cards offer baggage insurance.
Featured image from Facebook
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points Terms Apply.
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: Delta Sky Club and Centurion lounge access, $200 annual airline fee credit and up to $200 in Uber credits annually
- Earn 60,000 Membership Rewards® points after you use your new Card to make $5,000 in purchases in your first 3 months.
- Enjoy Uber VIP status and free rides in the U.S. up to $15 each month, plus a bonus $20 in December. That can be up to $200 in annual Uber savings.
- 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel.
- 5X Membership Rewards points on prepaid hotels booked on amextravel.com.
- Enjoy access to the Global Lounge Collection, the only credit card airport lounge access program that includes proprietary lounge locations around the world.
- Receive complimentary benefits with an average total value of $550 with Fine Hotels & Resorts. Learn More.
- $200 Airline Fee Credit, up to $200 per calendar year in baggage fees and more at one qualifying airline.
- Get up to $100 in statement credits annually for purchases at Saks Fifth Avenue on your Platinum Card®. Enrollment required.
- $550 annual fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees