American Airlines Pays Passenger $3,500 for Destroyed Bag
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
You know the fear while waiting for your bag to arrive at baggage claim—everyone’s grabbing their bags, except you, and you’re left convinced yours ended up on a different path across the world. For one passenger flying American Airlines on Sunday, something possibly worse happened: She found her bag mangled, with shredded clothes, covered in black grease and toothpaste. It happened at the Dallas-Fort Worth International Airport’s baggage claim, according to reports by ABC Dallas affiliate WFAA.
American Airlines, the carrier passenger Kristen Horabin had flown, offered no explanation. Horabin said she received her suitcase ripped and tossed in a plastic bin with stained and destroyed clothes, a broken hair dryer, mismatched shoes, and half her belongings missing. Horabin filed a claim after posting on Facebook about the incident, and within 24 hours, AA offered an apology and said it will be sending her a $3,500 check for damages and a $300 travel voucher.
One of our readers had a similar experience when he picked up his torn-up travel golf bag with dented and snapped clubs after flying United to San Diego. Thanks to the Chase Sapphire Reserve card he had used to buy the ticket, he was reimbursed $1,125. Several premium cards offer baggage insurance.
Featured image from Facebook
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on orders over $12 for a minimum of one year on qualifying food purchases with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Earn 5X points on Lyft rides through March 2022. That’s 3X points in addition to the 2X points you already earn on travel.