American Airlines raises bag fees for transatlantic Basic Economy passengers
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
American Airlines moved quietly Tuesday to increase bag fees for Basic Economy passengers on transatlantic flights.
Those travelers will now have to cough up $75 for their first checked bag. (The previous $60 fee will apply to existing reservations; the higher fee is only in effect for new bookings.)
The fee change was first reported by AwardWallet.
American said it was changing the price to help bring more uniformity to its European airline partnerships.
“American is changing its checked baggage fees for Basic Economy passengers on transatlantic flights to better align our bag fee structure with our Atlantic Joint Business partners, British Airways, Iberia, and Finnair,” Andrea Koos, an American spokeswoman said in a statement to TPG. “These changes only affect passengers who purchase new Basic Economy tickets on transatlantic flights starting on April 21 going forward.”
For example, American’s increase to the cost of checking a first checked bag in Basic Economy will put it in line with Finnair, which charges $75 for its comparable “Economy Light” fares between Europe and North America.
One work around for American customers hoping to avoid the checked bag fee will be to pack light. A carry-on bag remains free of charge on transatlantic itineraries, even in Basic Economy.
For those flying in American’s Main Cabin, first checked bags will still be gratis. First checked bags also remain free for AAdvantage and Oneworld elites, including on Basic Economy tickets.
There are also changes coming on fees for additional checked bags on transatlantic flights. American said the fees it charges in U.S. dollars won’t change; they’ll remain at $100 for a second checked bag and $200 for a third. But fees charged for those bags in other currencies will rise.
Whether in Basic Economy or Main Cabin, the fee for a second transatlantic bag will rise 65£/75€ to 75£/90€. The fee for a third will increase from 140£/150€ to 155£/180€. Koos said American was making that change so they “they are better aligned with the USD equivalent.”
In the near-term though, this isn’t a huge concern for nearly anyone. This month, American has only two transatlantic routes on the schedule: from Dallas/Fort Worth and Miami to London.
Featured photo by Robert Alexander/Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants in the first three months of card membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 Bonus Miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees