Amazon Launches Travel Booking Portal for Domestic India Flights
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Ahh, Amazon. Back in the day, the online retailer was known as a virtual marketplace for books. Then it expanded to a few other things. And then a few more. Today, much of the world relies on Amazon for just about everything, from two-hour deliveries to Whole Foods groceries.
Add “flights to India” to that shopping list. In partnership with Indian online travel agency Cleartrip, the retail giant began offering domestic flights within India this week.
To access the flights, Amazon users must navigate to Amazon.in, the India-specific country page. Your usual US login works for this page, and the flights can be found under Amazon Pay by clicking on “Explore more from Amazon Pay” (marked with a red arrow in the screenshot below).
Participating airlines include Air India, IndiGo, Vistara, GoAir, SpiceJet and AirAsia India as of the time of this post, with one-way flights on low-cost carriers beginning at around $40 USD.
To celebrate the new travel launch, Amazon India is also offering a promotional rebate of up to 2,000 rupees, worth $28.44 USD as of the time of this post. The refund amount is relative to the booking total, and is available to both Prime and non-Prime members, who receive a lower discount. According to the check-out page, the refund will be added to your Amazon Pay balance within 48 hours of completed booking. Travelers will also see a nominal percentage-based convenience fee added at checkout; for a ~$130 round-trip ticket, the fee was around $5.
India is a key-growth market for Amazon, with around 100 million Prime members throughout the massive nation of nearly 1.4 billion. Cash back is a popular incentive for online retailers in India, according to Skift, and the initial promotion no doubt is designed to target budget-conscious shoppers.
This isn’t Amazon’s first foray into travel booking. In 2014, the online retailer attempted to launch a hotel booking platform. However, the effort was shuttered about a year after its launch due to poor response and performance. But responses might be different now: In 2018, Travel Wire Asia discovered that 44% of surveyed consumers would book travel via Amazon if it were an option today, and TPG Lounge members offered similar responses.
Featured photo by Manoj Patil/Hindustan Times via Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in your first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at US restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees