Why I’m sticking with my $50 Amazon Basics bag until the end
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Ask anyone who knows me and they’ll tell you that while my desk, bedroom and bathroom are all messy, when it comes to travel packing I am an absolute organization fiend. From high atop my packing cube soapbox I preach, with infinite finesse in the art of carry-on cramming.
So when it came time to move away from my beloved Osprey Farpoint 40 for a bag that had wheels (old age = back problems), I went hunting for the best and cheapest bag I could find. Enter the Amazon Basics Hardside Spinner Luggage, which at 21 inches is
the perfect size to roll through security and shove into nearly any overhead bin while ringing in under $50 — it’s a win all around. I’ve put this bag through its paces and it always comes out ahead.
The TL;DR version is: This bag is worth every penny. At 4.5 stars and nearly 4,000 reviews, it’s well-tested, durable and features fancy upgrades found in much more expensive bags.
If you’re in the market for a suitcase and haven’t already bought into the Away suitcase craze (which I very nearly gave into), give this bag a shot. Let’s break down why.
For $50, you get a lightweight, expandable hard-sided bag that rolls like a dream. It comes in three different colors and has a number of high-end features:
- An extra thick ABS shell for durability
- Scratch resistant finish
- Securely mounted short handle
- TSA-approved combination lock
- 360-degree spinner wheels
- Interior dividers
- Three zippered pockets
- Hidden laundry bag
I’ve taken this bag on roughly 10 trips thus far, splitting my time between using it as a carry-on and checking it. So far it’s scuff free, though as shown in the images I’ve taken it certainly shows dust. You’ll also notice that once something has been stuck on my bag I never take it off, though that’s a personal choice.
Size and space
The Amazon Basics Spinner has a 39-liter capacity, which is just slightly smaller than the Away Carry-On retailing for a slick $225. It has plenty of zippered compartments and easily fits clothes for a week if you’re using packing cubes. Its exterior dimensions are 14.9 x 10 x 21.6 inches, which meets industry standard for carry-on suitcases on most airlines.
Though this is an inexpensive bag, it does have one or two nifty things in addition to its excellent interior. One: it has feet on one side, which makes it easy to prop up and keep still when you don’t want it rolling around.
Two: It also has a TSA-approved lock (which I’ve never used because if you’re needing to steal my leggings that’s your own personal problem) that has a number of excellent reviews.
I was a little miffed to purchase a rolling suitcase, as I’ve been a longtime advocate of carrying everything I own on my back. However, old age and an increasing litany of laptops have forced me to look into alternatives. The Amazon Basics bag meets the bill: it’s durable, has tons of organization and is cheap. What else could you want?
How to buy
Have I sold you on this bag? Then you’re in luck, because Amazon offers Prime shipping, which means you can have this baby in your arms in as little as one day. Or, if you tend to pack a little heavier, there are also 26-inch, 30-inch, and multi-piece varieties available at reasonable prices.
Buy: Amazon.com from $50
Feature photo courtesy of Amazon.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs up to two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide including takeout and delivery in the U.S., and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $80 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA PreCheck® after you apply through any Authorized Enrollment Provider. If approved for Global Entry, at no additional charge, you will receive access to TSA PreCheck.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees