These Are All the Airlines and Countries That Have Grounded the 737 MAX
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Since the fatal crash of Ethiopian Airlines Flight 302 on Sunday, several airlines and countries around the world have taken to grounding the Boeing 737 MAX.
While investigations of both crashes are still ongoing, many have compared the similarities between the October 2018 Lion Air crash, which killed all 189 people on board, and the most recent incident. While no US carriers have taken action, and the Federal Aviation Administration hasn’t directed airlines to ground the newest version of the 737, about 30% of the Boeing 737 MAX aircraft around the globe have been grounded.
Here are all of the airlines that operate some variation of the 737 MAX, and the status of their fleet:
In the near-immediate aftermath of Sunday’s crash, Ethiopian Airlines and Indonesia — the location of the Lion Air crash — were the first two entities to ground the 737 MAX aircraft. Since then, China, Australia, Singapore, Malaysia and the United Kingdom have issued directives, barring the 737 MAX from either entering their airspace or taking off from or landing at any of their airports.
In addition to the country-specific groundings, some airlines on their own have grounded their 737 MAX aircraft. Specifically those are Ethiopian Airlines, Norwegian Air, GOL, SilkAir, Royal Air Maroc and Cayman Airways.
It’s worth noting that the 737 MAX aircraft is different from 737 of the -700, -800 or -900 and previous variants, which are the most widely sold airplanes in commercial aviation history. Check out how to tell if you’re flying the MAX, while also being able to spot the MAX from its predecessors.
Featured image by Stephen Brashear/Getty Images.
WELCOME OFFER: 30,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $600
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: up to $100 annual CLEAR statement credit, up to $100 annual LoungeBuddy statement credit, 3x points on travel and transit, 3x points on restaurants worldwide
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 30,000 Membership Rewards® points after you spend $2,000 on purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Earn 3X Membership Rewards® points on all eligible travel, from subway swipes and window seats to hotel stays and city tours.
- Earn 3X Membership Rewards® points at restaurants worldwide.
- Receive up to $100 per year in statement credits when you use the American Express® Green Card to pay for your CLEAR® membership at select airports and stadiums across the U.S. and Permissible Biometric Scanning Technology terms: eye scanning, irises scanning and fingerprints scanning.
- Use the American Express® Green Card to purchase lounge access through LoungeBuddy to any of the lounges in the LoungeBuddy network – no memberships, elite statuses, or first class tickets required. Earn up to $100 in statement credits per calendar year on your LoungeBuddy purchases.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $150 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees