Alaska Slashing Customer-Friendly Price Guarantee
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Alaska Airlines has long differentiated itself from the other major US carriers through a generous change fee policy, not offering a basic economy product and allowing you to receive a credit if the price of your flight drops. Unfortunately, though, all good things must come to an end. To become more in line with its competitors, in April, Alaska reported a number of (negative) updates, including the introduction of a basic economy product and a tightened change fee policy. Soon, it’ll remove its price guarantee.
Tickets issued as of September 1, 2018, will no longer be eligible for Alaska’s guaranteed airfare credit. Presently, if you purchase your ticket directly with the airline and then find a lower price onany time before your departure, you can get the difference back in the form of a travel credit.
While you’ve always had to track the fares yourself (or set an alert on Google Flights), the process of claiming the credit has been simple. All you have to do is head to the price guarantee page on Alaska’s website, input your confirmation code and then the system will tell you if the fare has dropped. Unlike filing a claim for a hotel’s best rate guarantee, you don’t need to grab screenshots of the lower fares or fill out lengthy forms.
Alaska MVP Gold and Alaska MVP Gold 75K elites will continue to be eligible for free ticket changes, so those customers will be able to rebook their flights without penalties and get the credit for the difference.
This change makes Southwest the last US carrier to offer price drop protection up until departure. Thanks to the carrier’s incredibly generous no change fee policy, if the price of a purchased flight drops, you can rebook your flights at the lower rates and be credited the difference. JetBlue also has a lower fare policy where you can get a credit for the difference that’s good for up to one year, but that’s only if the price decreases within five days of the original booking date.
Customer-friendly perks such as the price guarantee helped land Alaska the top spot in TPG’s 2018 Best Airlines in the US rankings. However, with all of these customer-unfriendly changes, only time will tell how much longer it’ll reign that title.
H/T: One Mile at a Time
Featured photo by FG/Bauer-Griffin/GC Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases within the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn a $200 statement credit after your first Delta purchase within the first three months. Offer ends 7/28/21.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles after spending $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months and a $200 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Limited Time Offer: Plus, get a 0% intro APR on purchases for 12 months from the date of account opening, then a variable 15.74%-24.74%. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees