Alaska Slashing Customer-Friendly Price Guarantee
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Alaska Airlines has long differentiated itself from the other major US carriers through a generous change fee policy, not offering a basic economy product and allowing you to receive a credit if the price of your flight drops. Unfortunately, though, all good things must come to an end. To become more in line with its competitors, in April, Alaska reported a number of (negative) updates, including the introduction of a basic economy product and a tightened change fee policy. Soon, it’ll remove its price guarantee.
Tickets issued as of September 1, 2018, will no longer be eligible for Alaska’s guaranteed airfare credit. Presently, if you purchase your ticket directly with the airline and then find a lower price onany time before your departure, you can get the difference back in the form of a travel credit.
While you’ve always had to track the fares yourself (or set an alert on Google Flights), the process of claiming the credit has been simple. All you have to do is head to the price guarantee page on Alaska’s website, input your confirmation code and then the system will tell you if the fare has dropped. Unlike filing a claim for a hotel’s best rate guarantee, you don’t need to grab screenshots of the lower fares or fill out lengthy forms.
Alaska MVP Gold and Alaska MVP Gold 75K elites will continue to be eligible for free ticket changes, so those customers will be able to rebook their flights without penalties and get the credit for the difference.
This change makes Southwest the last US carrier to offer price drop protection up until departure. Thanks to the carrier’s incredibly generous no change fee policy, if the price of a purchased flight drops, you can rebook your flights at the lower rates and be credited the difference. JetBlue also has a lower fare policy where you can get a credit for the difference that’s good for up to one year, but that’s only if the price decreases within five days of the original booking date.
Customer-friendly perks such as the price guarantee helped land Alaska the top spot in TPG’s 2018 Best Airlines in the US rankings. However, with all of these customer-unfriendly changes, only time will tell how much longer it’ll reign that title.
H/T: One Mile at a Time
Featured photo by FG/Bauer-Griffin/GC Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.