This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Alaska Airlines is reducing the size of the carry-on bag you’ll be permitted to bring on board. As of June 4, 2018, the maximum dimensions for your bag will shrink from 24″ x 17″ x 10″ to 22″ x 14″ x 9″.
Beginning June 4, the carry-on size for Alaska Airlines, Horizon and SkyWest flights will take a total of two inches off the length, three inches off the height and one inch off the width, representing a 35% reduction from the current maximum.
Alaska says that it’s making the change because its current policy allows for carry-on bags that are much larger than most other international and domestic airlines. So, the carrier says it’s making the change to better allow passengers to carry their bag with them for all flights within an itinerary.
And, of course, by Alaska minimizing the size of carry-on bags allowed, it’s creating more room in overhead bins to accommodate additional bags.
Alaska is giving plenty of warning with this announcement, as the new maximum carry-on size restrictions won’t take effect until June 4. While the move might seem negative overall for passengers, it could end up being positive. By being able to accommodate more passengers’ bags in the overhead bin, coupled with making connecting journeys less stressful with measurements on par with those of other carriers, this could be a good switch.
Featured image by FG/Bauer-Griffin / Getty Images.
H/T: One Mile at a Time
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.
Aside from the 75,000 points welcome bonus, Amex recently made huge improvements to the Business Platinum Card, including the fact that you will now earn 50% more points on purchases of $5,000 or more, earn 5x on flights and eligible hotels at Amextravel.com and cardholders will receive a $200 airline fee credit each year.
- Welcome Offer: Earn up to 75,000 Membership Rewards® points.
- Earn 50,000 Membership Rewards® points after you spend $10,000 and an extra 25,000 points after you spend an additional $10,000 all on qualifying purchases within your first 3 months of Card Membership.
- Get 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights and prepaid hotels on amextravel.com.
- Get 50% more Membership Rewards® points. That's 1.5 points per dollar, on each eligible purchase of $5,000 or more. You can get up to 1 million additional points per year.
- 35% Airline Bonus: Use Membership Rewards® Pay with Points for all or part of a flight with your selected qualifying airline, and you can get 35% of the points back, up to 500,000 bonus points per calendar year.
- Enroll to get up to $200 in statement credits annually by getting up to $100 semi-annually for U.S. purchases with Dell. Terms apply.
- Get one year of Platinum Global Access from WeWork. With this membership, you can access 300+ premium, inspiring workspaces in 75+ cities. To get this exclusive offer, enroll between 2/15/2019 and 12/31/2019.
- Terms Apply
- See Rates & Fees