This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Alaska Airlines is reducing the size of the carry-on bag you’ll be permitted to bring on board. As of June 4, 2018, the maximum dimensions for your bag will shrink from 24″ x 17″ x 10″ to 22″ x 14″ x 9″.
Beginning June 4, the carry-on size for Alaska Airlines, Horizon and SkyWest flights will take a total of two inches off the length, three inches off the height and one inch off the width, representing a 35% reduction from the current maximum.
Alaska says that it’s making the change because its current policy allows for carry-on bags that are much larger than most other international and domestic airlines. So, the carrier says it’s making the change to better allow passengers to carry their bag with them for all flights within an itinerary.
And, of course, by Alaska minimizing the size of carry-on bags allowed, it’s creating more room in overhead bins to accommodate additional bags.
Alaska is giving plenty of warning with this announcement, as the new maximum carry-on size restrictions won’t take effect until June 4. While the move might seem negative overall for passengers, it could end up being positive. By being able to accommodate more passengers’ bags in the overhead bin, coupled with making connecting journeys less stressful with measurements on par with those of other carriers, this could be a good switch.
Featured image by FG/Bauer-Griffin / Getty Images.
H/T: One Mile at a Time
LIMITED TIME OFFER. Aside from the 100,000 points welcome bonus (available until 8/8/18), Amex recently made huge improvements to the Business Platinum Card, including the fact that you will now earn 50% more points on purchases of $5,000 or more, earn 5x on flights and eligible hotels at Amextravel.com and cardholders will receive a $200 airline fee credit each year.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn up to 100,000 Membership Rewards® Points.
- Earn 50,000 Membership Rewards® points after you spend $10,000 & an extra 50,000 points after you spend an additional $15,000 all on qualifying purchases within your first 3 months of Card Membership. Offer ends 8/8/18.†
- Get 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights and prepaid hotels on amextravel.com.
- Get 50% more Membership Rewards® points. That's 1.5 points per dollar, on each eligible purchase of $5,000 or more. You can get up to 1 million additional points per year.
- 35% Airline Bonus: Use Membership Rewards® Pay with Points for all or part of a flight with your selected qualifying airline, and you can get 35% of the points back, up to 500,000 bonus points per calendar year.
- You can also receive 35% points back on all First and Business class flights, with all airlines available through American Express Travel.
- You can enjoy access to The American Express Global Lounge Collection℠ offering access to the most lounges across the globe, when compared with other U.S. credit card offerings. As of 11/2017
- Terms Apply
- See Rates & Fees