Alaska Airlines Is Reducing the Size of the Carry-On Bag You Can Bring on Board
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Alaska Airlines is reducing the size of the carry-on bag you’ll be permitted to bring on board. As of June 4, 2018, the maximum dimensions for your bag will shrink from 24″ x 17″ x 10″ to 22″ x 14″ x 9″.
Beginning June 4, the carry-on size for Alaska Airlines, Horizon and SkyWest flights will take a total of two inches off the length, three inches off the height and one inch off the width, representing a 35% reduction from the current maximum.
Alaska says that it’s making the change because its current policy allows for carry-on bags that are much larger than most other international and domestic airlines. So, the carrier says it’s making the change to better allow passengers to carry their bag with them for all flights within an itinerary.
And, of course, by Alaska minimizing the size of carry-on bags allowed, it’s creating more room in overhead bins to accommodate additional bags.
Alaska is giving plenty of warning with this announcement, as the new maximum carry-on size restrictions won’t take effect until June 4. While the move might seem negative overall for passengers, it could end up being positive. By being able to accommodate more passengers’ bags in the overhead bin, coupled with making connecting journeys less stressful with measurements on par with those of other carriers, this could be a good switch.
Featured image by FG/Bauer-Griffin / Getty Images.
H/T: One Mile at a Time
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in your first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at US restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees