Here’s how to earn an extra 5,000 bonus miles and save on your next Alaska flight
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Update: Some offers mentioned below are no longer available.
Here’s something we haven’t seen in a while: Alaska Airlines is offering a new member bonus. Not for signing up for a credit card – for joining the Mileage Plan program and completing a flight. Here are the details:
- Join the Alaska Mileage Plan program by Dec. 31, 2020
- Fly round-trip before Feb. 28, 2021 and earn 2,500 miles
- Take a second round-trip flight and earn another 2,500 miles
This offer is valid on Alaska Airlines-operated flights only. Codeshare and partner flights are excluded.
While 5,000 Alaska miles may not seem like much, it’s actually enough for a one-way domestic award flight under 700 miles. The welcome bonus is in addition to the miles you’ll earn from your actual flight. For example, if you’re flying from Chicago to Washington, D.C. you’ll earn about 1,200 miles in addition to the 2,500-mile new member bonus.
For more TPG content delivered each morning to your inbox, sign up for our daily newsletter.
Stacking the bonus
This offer can be even more lucrative if you stack it right. For example, you can earn 5x points on your airfare (when booked direct or via Amextravel.com; earn 5x points on up to $500,000 on these purchases per calendar starting Jan. 1, 2021 ) by using a card like The Platinum Card® from American Express or the Citi Prestige® Card. You can also opt to earn a 12% discount on airfare instead by buying an Alaska Airlines gift card from Costco. The $500 gift cards are currently on sale for $449.99.
The information for the Citi Prestige card has been collected independently by The Points Guy. The card details on this page have not been reviewed or provided by the card issuer.
You’ll save 10% on the gift card and receive another 2% in rewards (1% when you buy, plus 1% as you pay) by using the Citi® Double Cash Card. Convert those cash back rewards to Citi ThankYou points and you’ll bump the value of your rewards from $9 to $15.30.
If you’re not currently an Alaska Mileage Plan member and have travel coming up with the airline, signing up for this promotion is a no-brainer. You’ll earn bonus miles on top of normal earnings and get you closer to your next Alaska award. Stacked with the Costco promotion and the right credit card, you can maximize your savings further.
Featured photo by Clint Henderson/The Points Guy
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees