Here’s how to earn an extra 5,000 bonus miles and save on your next Alaska flight
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Update: Some offers mentioned below are no longer available.
Here’s something we haven’t seen in a while: Alaska Airlines is offering a new member bonus. Not for signing up for a credit card – for joining the Mileage Plan program and completing a flight. Here are the details:
- Join the Alaska Mileage Plan program by Dec. 31, 2020
- Fly round-trip before Feb. 28, 2021 and earn 2,500 miles
- Take a second round-trip flight and earn another 2,500 miles
This offer is valid on Alaska Airlines-operated flights only. Codeshare and partner flights are excluded.
While 5,000 Alaska miles may not seem like much, it’s actually enough for a one-way domestic award flight under 700 miles. The welcome bonus is in addition to the miles you’ll earn from your actual flight. For example, if you’re flying from Chicago to Washington, D.C. you’ll earn about 1,200 miles in addition to the 2,500-mile new member bonus.
For more TPG content delivered each morning to your inbox, sign up for our daily newsletter.
Stacking the bonus
This offer can be even more lucrative if you stack it right. For example, you can earn 5x points on your airfare (when booked direct or via Amextravel.com; earn 5x points on up to $500,000 on these purchases per calendar starting Jan. 1, 2021 ) by using a card like The Platinum Card® from American Express or the Citi Prestige® Card. You can also opt to earn a 12% discount on airfare instead by buying an Alaska Airlines gift card from Costco. The $500 gift cards are currently on sale for $449.99.
The information for the Citi Prestige card has been collected independently by The Points Guy. The card details on this page have not been reviewed or provided by the card issuer.
You’ll save 10% on the gift card and receive another 2% in rewards (1% when you buy, plus 1% as you pay) by using the Citi® Double Cash Card. Convert those cash back rewards to Citi ThankYou points and you’ll bump the value of your rewards from $9 to $15.30.
If you’re not currently an Alaska Mileage Plan member and have travel coming up with the airline, signing up for this promotion is a no-brainer. You’ll earn bonus miles on top of normal earnings and get you closer to your next Alaska award. Stacked with the Costco promotion and the right credit card, you can maximize your savings further.
Featured photo by Clint Henderson/The Points Guy
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: Up to 100,000 bonus miles
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,040
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 3X miles on United® purchases
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80K bonus miles after you spend $5,000 on purchases in the first 3 months your account is open. Plus, an additional 20K bonus miles after you spend $10,000 in the first 6 months
- $250 Annual Fee
- Earn 3X miles on United® purchases, 2X miles at restaurants, on select streaming services & all other travel, 1X on all other purchases
- Earn 3X miles on United Airlines purchases
- Earn 2X miles at restaurants and on select streaming services
- Earn 2X miles on all other travel
- Earn 1X mile on all other purchases
- Each year, receive a $125 credit on United® purchases and two 5k-mile anniversary award flight credits. Terms apply.