Alaska Airlines Expands Paine Field Map, Adds 10th Nonstop Route
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Alaska Airlines continues to expand its map from Paine Field north of Seattle, adding new intra-state service to Spokane this fall.
The Seattle-based carrier will add a daily flight between Paine Field (PAE) in Everett, Washington, to Spokane (GEG) starting Nov. 4, it said Wednesday. The company will fly a 76-seat Embraer 175 on the new route.
“When it comes to flights at Paine Field, our guests have been eager for one city to be added above all others right now – they said make it Spokane,” David Besse, manager of network planning at Alaska, said in a statement. “We believe this route will be very popular, easily connecting… two dynamic regions of the state.”
Spokane joins Palm Springs (PSP) as new destinations from Paine Field this November. Commercial airline service at the airport, which is home to many of Boeing’s wide-body aircraft assembly lines, resumed in March.
With the addition of Spokane and Palm Springs, Alaska Airlines will now offer nonstop flights on 10 routes from Paine Field. The carrier’s other destinations from the airport are: Las Vegas (LAS); Los Angeles (LAX); Orange County, California (SNA); Phoenix (PHX); Portland, Oregon (PDX); San Diego (SAN); San Francisco SFO); and San Jose, California.
Alaska’s new service to eastern Washington fits with the network strategy outlined by CEO Brad Tilden in July. During a quarterly earnings call, he told analysts that Alaska would focus 2020 capacity growth on “doing everything we need to do to sort of defend and grow markets out of the state of Washington.”
As part of its defensive push in the Pacific Northwest, the airline is retaining 10 De Havilland Canada Dash 8-400 turboprops previously slated for retirement by the end of next year.
Alaska is capped at 18 daily flights from the airport. The airline will reduce its schedule to Los Angeles (LAX) to two daily flights from three to add the new Spokane service, its website shows.
United Airlines also serves Paine Field with six daily flights to Denver (DEN) and San Francisco (SFO).
Alaska is using Paine Field to expand its footprint in its home Seattle market. In December, the airline’s chief commercial officer Andrew Harrison said that the 18 flights from the airport were equivalent to a 6% increase at Seattle-Tacoma (SEA) “without any of the congestion and huge convenience for our guests.”
Alaska is headquartered in Seattle and operates its largest hub there.
Featured image by Edward Pizzarello/TPG.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees