Alaska Airlines’ Annual Plane Full of Salmon Lands at Seattle-Tacoma Airport
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Aviation geeks and seafood lovers: It’s that time of year again. Salmon season.
The state of Alaska has begun exporting its famous wild Copper River salmon for the 2019 season, and on Friday, Alaska Airlines brought the first shipment of the delicacy to the Pacific Northwest — Seattle-Tacoma Airport to be exact.
Alaska Airlines’ first salmon shipment has become an annual ritual among plane-spotters and gourmands alike. Each year, the airline dispatches its special fish-liveried plane, a Boeing 737-800 lovingly dubbed the “Salmon-30-Salmon,” to carry thousands of pounds of the fresh pink fish on ice in its cargo belly from Cordova, Alaska, to Seattle’s airport (SEA).
This year, the salmon plane ferried about 15,000 pounds of the fish fresh from the Copper River, according to King 5 News in Seattle. The airline rolls out an actual red carpet for the precious and delectable cargo, and the cockpit crew presents a symbolic catch of the day, for a photo op.
They are litterally rolling out the red carpet for the fish! pic.twitter.com/MnPpvriits
— Airline Reporter (@AirlineReporter) May 17, 2019
— Alaska Airlines (@AlaskaAir) May 17, 2019
The salmon plane is, otherwise, in regular passenger service. I spotted it last year at a gate at SEA while boarding for another plane.
Alaska Airlines deliveries tens of thousands of pounds of the salmon to SEA each year. From there, the fish will be delivered to restaurants and grocery stores throughout the Pacific Northwest and across the US.
— Rachel Sapin (@SapinRachel) May 17, 2019
“Alaska Airlines plays a significant role in supporting the Alaska seafood industry, which is recognized worldwide for its sustainable fishing practices,” Jason Berry, managing director at Alaska Air Cargo, said at last year’s ceremony. “Our Cargo employees are working around the clock to ensure we deliver the first catch of the coveted wild Copper River salmon to market, often within 24 hours of being pulled from the water.”
Wild Copper River salmon are a prized variety of the popular fish because they have a higher fat content, which means they are packed with even more flavor.
Featured image courtesy of Alaska Airlines.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases within the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn a $200 statement credit after your first Delta purchase within the first three months. Offer ends 7/28/21.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles after spending $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months and a $200 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Limited Time Offer: Plus, get a 0% intro APR on purchases for 12 months from the date of account opening, then a variable 15.74%-24.74%. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees