Select Airports Are Trying out Passenger Lie Detector Tests
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Airport security is an ever-evolving industry. From the introduction of programs like Global Entry to the use of biometrics to help lines move faster, technology is paving the way when it comes to a quicker trip through customs. The latest endeavor: using artificial intelligence-backed lie detectors to screen passengers at border checkpoints.
The project, called iBorderCtrl, will cost $5.1 million (€4.5 million) and uses “virtual border guard avatars” to ask passengers basic questions like name, age, date of birth and travel purpose according to CNN. Facial movement will be used to determine whether passengers are withholding truthful responses. If a traveler is suspected of lying, the avatar will alert a human, who would then take over. Those deemed honest will be allowed to continue on their way. The hope is that the screenings would be an efficient way of “reducing congestion.”
A trial period kicks off this month and will be used in airports in Hungary, Latvia and Greece on “passengers traveling from outside the EU.” In this phase, “only passengers who give their consent” via forms provided at the airport will be subject to the test.
So far, data has only been collected from 32 trial passengers, but those behind the new technology are hopeful for future success. Once fully up and running, the goal is to hit an 85% success rate. Depending on how you look at it, that’s considerable room for error. Keeley Crockett of Manchester Metropolitan University in England, who is working on the project, said she personally doesn’t believe “you can have a 100% accurate system.”
Let’s hope passengers who fail the first round of screening have better luck answering to a human.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases within the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn a $200 statement credit after your first Delta purchase within the first three months. Offer ends 7/28/21.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles after spending $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months and a $200 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Limited Time Offer: Plus, get a 0% intro APR on purchases for 12 months from the date of account opening, then a variable 15.74%-24.74%. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees