This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Airport security is an ever-evolving industry. From the introduction of programs like Global Entry to the use of biometrics to help lines move faster, technology is paving the way when it comes to a quicker trip through customs. The latest endeavor: using artificial intelligence-backed lie detectors to screen passengers at border checkpoints.
The project, called iBorderCtrl, will cost $5.1 million (€4.5 million) and uses “virtual border guard avatars” to ask passengers basic questions like name, age, date of birth and travel purpose according to CNN. Facial movement will be used to determine whether passengers are withholding truthful responses. If a traveler is suspected of lying, the avatar will alert a human, who would then take over. Those deemed honest will be allowed to continue on their way. The hope is that the screenings would be an efficient way of “reducing congestion.”
A trial period kicks off this month and will be used in airports in Hungary, Latvia and Greece on “passengers traveling from outside the EU.” In this phase, “only passengers who give their consent” via forms provided at the airport will be subject to the test.
So far, data has only been collected from 32 trial passengers, but those behind the new technology are hopeful for future success. Once fully up and running, the goal is to hit an 85% success rate. Depending on how you look at it, that’s considerable room for error. Keeley Crockett of Manchester Metropolitan University in England, who is working on the project, said she personally doesn’t believe “you can have a 100% accurate system.”
Let’s hope passengers who fail the first round of screening have better luck answering to a human.
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.
LIMITED TIME OFFER: 70,000 Miles
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION: $980
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2x miles on AA purchases plus 2x miles at gas stations and at telecommunications merchants, cable and satellite providers and car rental merchants. Get your first checked bag free.
- Designed for businesses
- For a limited time: Earn 70,000 American Airlines AAdvantage® bonus miles after making $4,000 in purchases in first 4 months of account opening*
- First checked bag is free on domestic American Airlines itineraries to reduce travel costs and boost your bottom line*
- 25% savings on American Airlines inflight Wi-Fi when you use your card*
- Enjoy preferred boarding on American Airlines flights*
- Earn 2 AAdvantage® miles per $1 spent on eligible American Airlines purchases
- Earn 2 AAdvantage® miles per $1 spent on purchases at telecommunications merchants, cable and satellite providers, car rental merchants and at gas stations*
- Earn 1 AAdvantage® mile per $1 spent on other purchases*
- No Foreign Transaction Fees*