Airline Sues Passenger for Throwing ‘Good Luck’ Coins in Plane Engine
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Superstitious flyers, here’s a tip: if you’re looking to attract some good karma aboard your flight, don’t throw coins into the aircraft engine.
Chinese airline Lucky Air had an unlucky day when a passenger tossed coins into the plane engine “for good luck.” The airline is now suing that passenger, known only as Lu.
When airline staff found yuan coins on the tarmac by the plane’s left engine, they questioned passengers, and Lu confessed to throwing the coins. So all 162 passengers were deplaned and faced a day-long delay while the airline could execute a full-engine check. According to Lucky Air, the delay and check cost them about 140,000 yuan (approximately $21,000). Lu, who had tossed the coins while boarding the flight, was subsequently taken into custody and detained for seven days.
“The incident caused a direct economic loss of nearly 140,000 yuan,” Lucky Air said in a statement to the Daily Mail, “and our company will press charges against the passenger in accordance with the law.” It isn’t exactly clear, however, if the airline is holding Lu accountable for the total 140,000 yuan in damages. TPG reached out to Lucky Air for more information but did not receive a response by time of publication.
Despite being a safety hazard, passengers have tossed coins into aircraft engines for good luck more than once. The Independent reported two separate incidents of elderly women tossing coins into a plane’s engine in China for good luck in 2017. One of which, who was flying China Southern, threw nine coins at the engine (only one hit) and caused a flight delay of 5 hours.
While a few small coins might seem pretty innocuous, if sucked up by the engine, they could cause extensive damage or total engine failure.
Featured image by Fabrizio Gandolfo/SOPA Images/LightRocket via Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs up to two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide including takeout and delivery in the U.S., and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $80 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA PreCheck® after you apply through any Authorized Enrollment Provider. If approved for Global Entry, at no additional charge, you will receive access to TSA PreCheck.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees