Emirates will restore A380 service to all prior US destinations, CEO says
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Emirates will bring the Airbus A380 back onto all U.S. routes that were previously serviced by the double-decker jet, CEO Sheikh Ahmed bin Saeed Al-Maktoum said on Monday.
Speaking at a media roundtable at the Dubai Airshow on Monday, Al-Maktoum said that the airline was working to restore its full A380 fleet after grounding it during the height of the pandemic. The aircraft will be added back into the schedule as they become available, with markets with the most demand continuing to see the Airbus jumbojet restored soonest as a way to boost capacity.
Want more airline-specific news? Sign up for TPG’s free new biweekly Aviation newsletter!
“With the -380 program today, we have 47 of them,” Al-Maktoum said. “Our operation, looking toward the end of the year, we’ll have over 60,” he said, referring to planes being pulled back out of storage. Emirates has a fleet of about 120 of the aircraft type, which it grounded during the height of the COVID-19 pandemic.
As Emirates has returned the planes to service, there have been questions about whether the fleet type would return to its former glory serving as the effective flagship for the airline.
Emirates currently serves Boston Logan Airport (BOS), for instance, using a Boeing 777-300ER, where previously it flew the A380. Washington Dulles International Airport (IAD) currently has A380 service, but Emirates will downgauge the route to a 777 starting in December. The airline plans to reintroduce the A380 to Dulles in April, 2022, according to data provided by Cirium.
“It all depends on the traffic,” or demand, Al-Maktoum said. “We saw an excellent summer to the U.S. and our traffic today is good.”
Featured photo by Dinendra Haria/SOPA Images/LightRocket via Getty Images
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants in the first three months of card membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 Bonus Miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees