Airbus predicts airlines will need to buy nearly 40,000 new planes in the next 20 years
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Airbus predicts the world’s air carriers will need around 39,000 new planes by 2038.
The European manufacturer released that market guidance Wednesday, saying the aviation industry should see annual capacity growth around 4.3% over the next 20 years.
Those numbers in Airbus’ projections include freight and passenger airplanes of all sizes. But Airbus believes the largest demand is likely to be for narrow-body airplanes, like its A220 and A320 families of planes. Boeing’s 737 is its narrow-body that competes with the A320 family. Globally, Airbus projects nearly 30,000 of the 39,000 planes ordered during the next two decades will fall into that “small” category of narrow-bodies.
Related: 10 Fun Facts About the Airbus A380
“The 4% annual growth reflects the resilient nature of aviation, weathering short term economic shocks and geo-political disturbances. Economies thrive on air transportation. People and goods want to connect,” Christian Scherer, Airbus’ chief commercial officer, said in a statement. “Globally, commercial aviation stimulates GDP growth and supports 65 million livelihoods, demonstrating the immense benefits our business brings to all societies and global trade.”
Airbus estimates the increased demand for planes will also lead to 550,000 new pilot positions and 640,000 new technician jobs. The company also said in its press release that due to increased fuel efficiency, the newer planes are contributing to making overall industry growth carbon-neutral.
Featured photo courtesy of Airbus.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide, eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for travel through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on orders over $12 for a minimum of one year on qualifying food purchases with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Earn 2x total points on up to $1,000 in grocery store purchases per month from November 1, 2020 to April 30, 2021. Includes eligible pick-up and delivery services.