Airbus Flight Record: 16 Hours on a Narrow-body Plane
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Quick! Think of the longest flight you’ve ever taken on one of Airbus’ A320 family of narrow-body jets.
Five hours? Maybe six?
For one set of Airbus test pilots the answer is 16 hours, 10 minutes.
Airbus’ new ACJ319neo corporate jet clocked that jaw-dropping flight time on a Friday test flight that took the aircraft from Toulouse in southern France to northern Greenland and back.
Airbus says the flight was the longest ever operated by one of its crews on the A320 family of jets. Airbus’ previous record for the A320 family was a 15-hour, 15-minute ACJ319 flight from Santiago, Chile, to Paris flown in 1999.
The European jetmaker described Friday’s recording-breaking trip with as “an endurance flight that included a simulated diversion.”
The flight of the new ACJ319neo variant came just two days after the aircraft took off on its maiden flight on Wednesday. That flight – much shorter at one hour, 55 minutes – began “a short flight-test program to verify its corporate jet features,” according to a statement from Airbus.
The first ACJ319neo is destined for K5 Aviation of Germany, which offers “individually tailored management and commercial charter services for long-range aircraft,” according to the company’s website.
K5 intends to install a “VVIP” (very VIP) cabin interior on the jet.
“We want to fly customers to their destination using the quickest routes, as well as delivering unsurpassed comfort and service, and it’s impressive to see such long-range capability at first hand,” Erik Scheidt, K5 Aviation CEO and chief pilot, said in a statement via Airbus. Scheidt participated in Friday’s flight.
The ACJ319neo is equipped with five extra fuel tanks in its cargo hold to help extend its range, which stands at about 6,750 nautical miles (12,500 nautical kilometers) with eight passengers on board. Its nonstop city-pair routings include options like Los Angeles-Tokyo, Hong Kong-London and Dubai-Sydney, according to Airbus.
Featured image courtesy of Airbus.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in your first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at US restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees