Couple spends over $10,000 on Airbnb that didn’t exist
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
A British couple intending to take a vacation in Ibiza, Spain realized that they had been scammed out of thousands of dollars when they arrived at their supposed Airbnb’s address to find that it did not exist.
Ian and Denise Feltham had reserved a “VIP penthouse” in the Spanish holiday destination that promised features like a Turkish bath and a private elevator — and paid almost $12,000 for it.
According to Fox News, the couple claimed that the listing they reserved had multiple positive reviews on Airbnb’s site, and that communication — at least in the beginning — was normal. They grew anxious as their reservation grew closer and the host became unresponsive, but Airbnb wouldn’t refund their money unless the couple showed up and the listing did not exist.
Sure enough, when the Feltham’s arrived at the building where the “VIP penthouse” was supposed to be, it wasn’t there. Mr. Feltham said he spoke to a neighbor who said that it had been a recurring problem. The couple had no other choice other than to find a hotel that would accommodate both them and their pet, and ended up spending about $250 extra per night for a hotel that was 40 minutes away from town.
In a statement to The Sun, Airbnb said that its handling of the situation “fell below [its] usual high standards” and that it had reached out to the Feltham’s to apologize and issue a full refund.
The homeshare company said that it has suspended the fraudulent listing and continues to investigate the situation.
If you’re thinking about an Airbnb (that actually exists) for your next vacation, make sure to use the best travel rewards credit card to book.
For more Airbnb resources, check out:
- 12 Tips for Scoring the Perfect Airbnb
- What to Do If You Show Up to a Wrecked Airbnb
- 7 Tips for Making Your Airbnb Stay Safer
Featured image by NeonJellyfish via Getty Images
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases within the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn a $200 statement credit after your first Delta purchase within the first three months. Offer ends 7/28/21.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles after spending $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months and a $200 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Limited Time Offer: Plus, get a 0% intro APR on purchases for 12 months from the date of account opening, then a variable 15.74%-24.74%. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees